LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 rebuild. opinions please!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 rebuild. opinions please!

my bottom end is knocking and i have got it narrowed down to either a rod or a wrist pin so its gotta come out. now my dilema is what should i do. if its a rod bearing thats bad ill need to turn the crank and probably rebuild the whole engine to stock. i was looking on enginekits.com and they seem to have some really good deals on full engine kits. one kit is 599.00 for coated pistons,crank,forged rods,oil pump and bearings. to me it seems like it would be a good idea to do because basically i would be getting a whole new rotating assembly. i have really been stiring lately over this and i just want to get some second opinions.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats done to the motor so far? (I noticed you said something about returning to stock..) besides that what would you like to be able to do with it long term?? any kind of numbers you are looking for??
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not really looking for anything special. i was planning on spraying it in the near future! but im glad i didnt!!! bolt-ons right now. i can beat new auto gt's all day long, so its not too slow. the engine package i was looking at as mentioned before is 11:1 so it would definately be a little more aggresive.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna spend the money, I'd consider a built shortblock from a sponsor; you'll have well over a grand in it anyway, and a forged shortblock lets you do the job once... It'll cost you more like 3 grand, but it'll be built dead on, better than you can achieve with a kit, machine work, and you assembling. It would also allow for spray later.

If you build it, don't forget the cost of machining and i'd go full forged with good parts; the machining labor and gaskets are about 750 by themselves. Gasket set alone will be 350. Might as well spend a few hundred more on a fully forged rotating assembly, and 383 is a thought as well.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The kit may be cheap but the machine work and balance could add up, Today after market companies offer short blocks with very competitive prices, You may save $100 or so doing it yourself but if you consider the time taking the parts to and from the machine shop and the down time, it may not be worth it. I know of a few people that have purchase short blocks for Golen Engine service. and I have tuned them from NA to Supercharged. They seem to be very good for the price...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 rebuild. opinions please!