LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My BFG KDW's Suck...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My BFG KDW's Suck...

i have BFG KDW's on the back of my camaro 275 40 17 and they dont grip for crap i cant go around turns fast i cant get on the gas anywhere they just slide??? and i have searched around and alot of guys say these are one of the best tires to use for street they have lasted pretty long ill give them that but i want a tire to last pretty good and also grip really good so what tire should i be using? i was thinking of moving to a 315 also

also if anyone has tires they wants to sell or trade or something then let me know im in so cal
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

bummer man... softer tire will get you more grip but, you'll wear'em out alot faster. Are the front wheels giving you any problems? Or, just the rears?

My cheap-*** sumitomo's seem great for me on the street.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

my fuzions stick like glue. they barely make a whisper hard shifting to 2nd.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

bfg's usally do hold pretty good. whats the temp been latly where you are? whats the suspension setup like? also how many miles on them. may still need to be broken in.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

my Riken Raptor tires are excellent. they are michelin made. 117$ a piece for 275/40/17 i bet u paid at least 180$. im serious, they are an excellent tire. if you do burnouts on the streets i dont reccomend them b/c they are soft, i learned the hard way so i rotated them up front, and i havent rotated in 10k miles and the backs are prolly around 75% and they have had about 12kmiles on them. Check them out at Raben, idk where else. i havent broke 3rd gear loose since ive gotten them. even in the rain, they still stick way better than any tire ive had.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are down to the wear line i have sub frame connectors panhard bar energy susp. bushings front and rear sway bars sporline springs kyb shocks and struts just the rear tires suck the temp has been like 60-70 i can take off at the light make a slight turn and shift into 2nd and the *** end will just start sliding and i wont be on it i want my car to grip really good no sliding at all haha so i was thinking maybe moving up to a 315 would fix that

do i need to cut anything to fit 315s in my car tho?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What's your tire pressure at?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LoStOCeAnZ63
they are down to the wear line i have sub frame connectors panhard bar energy susp. bushings front and rear sway bars sporline springs kyb shocks and struts just the rear tires suck the temp has been like 60-70 i can take off at the light make a slight turn and shift into 2nd and the *** end will just start sliding and i wont be on it i want my car to grip really good no sliding at all haha so i was thinking maybe moving up to a 315 would fix that

so if there at the wear bar there worn out right? or did they never stick from new?
ive run nankings (long story) bfg's nittos and nitto dr's , the bfg's/nittos were about the same the dr's stick better straight but i felt more comfortable in the turns with the BFGs and regular nittos my bfgs were the 285's but damn the car stuck like glue
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
my Riken Raptor tires are excellent. they are michelin made. 117$ a piece for 275/40/17 i bet u paid at least 180$. im serious, they are an excellent tire. if you do burnouts on the streets i dont reccomend them b/c they are soft, i learned the hard way so i rotated them up front, and i havent rotated in 10k miles and the backs are prolly around 75% and they have had about 12kmiles on them. Check them out at Raben, idk where else. i havent broke 3rd gear loose since ive gotten them. even in the rain, they still stick way better than any tire ive had.
i dont mess around in the rain in my car anymore im scared of my car in the rain i have had bad times with me + water + heavy car + RWD = crash hahahaha

i almost killed myself in my 63 nova i was coming down a hill and hit water and the car spun and hit a light pole so thats why i want tires that keep me stuck to the ground becuase im scared of crashing again

(before my car crash)

(after my crash)

(all healed after my crash haha)

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RGV SS
What's your tire pressure at?
i keep it at 30 in the rear
Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
so if there at the wear bar there worn out right? or did they never stick from new?
ive run nankings (long story) bfg's nittos and nitto dr's , the bfg's/nittos were about the same the dr's stick better straight but i felt more comfortable in the turns with the BFGs and regular nittos my bfgs were the 285's but damn the car stuck like glue
they never stuck im thinking just moving to a 315 and going to like a road race type tire im not sure what tire that is tho?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

they never stuck im thinking just moving to a 315 and going to like a road race type tire im not sure what tire that is tho?

a road race type tire isn't going to be suited for the street. Generally they're like a slick with a few thread lines designed for road/auto x applications only. They will wear out quicker than a Drag Radial

Why not try the KDs slightly harder than a DR. or the Kumho MX which would be about the same as KD if not slightly a touch harder.

Last edited by buffman; 10-16-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would recommend drag radials.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

well i dont see rear control arms listed? and it looks like your dropped ALOT . that alone will pull alot of traction away . id also go threw everything and make sure nothing lossened up . just incase your chasing something thats overlooked. it should be sliding that bad even on walmart tires unless your dropping 2nd gear
Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing is going to hook good with a car thats slammed and riding on the bump stops, + your suspension geometry is way off now.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
well i dont see rear control arms listed? and it looks like your dropped ALOT . that alone will pull alot of traction away . id also go threw everything and make sure nothing lossened up . just incase your chasing something thats overlooked. it should be sliding that bad even on walmart tires unless your dropping 2nd gear
oh yeah i have rear control arms too i knew i forgot something
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by buffman
a road race type tire isn't going to be suited for the street. Generally they're like a slick with a few thread lines designed for road/auto x applications only. They will wear out quicker than a Drag Radial

Why not try the KDs slightly harder than a DR. or the Kumho MX which would be about the same as KD if not slightly a touch harder.
my last set were kd's and now i have kdw's
Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

what about the advans?

http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireSizes.asp?TireID=2
Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

well if you're having that much traction issues and you don't like KDs about the only solution would be Drag Radials. Or mucho expensive Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so what are a good set of tires that grip good around corners on the street and track and last the longest even it its a DR

Quick Reply: My BFG KDW's Suck...