LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Turbo on Long Tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo on Long Tubes?

Is it possible? Would there be trouble? 1 big or 2 small?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure if i follow. sure it is possible. hell, anything is possible. i guess if you want to do it different than most others, GO for it! personally, i think it would be a PITA to make it all fit for the location. and 1 big or 2 small is purely up to you, depends on where you want to see yourself. i prefer one big, but thats my opinion
Old 10-22-2007, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

would i have to go with a rear mount like that sts stuff, or do you think i'd run one big right off the LTs and go 1 big from there or would 2 smaller make better with ground clearance? ive heard that rear mounts are absolutely terrible. but i did just go with a full exhaust and a turbo has came into play.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i am doing a rear mount setup in a few months, mainly because it seems more cost efficient and less fab work. some are against rear mount, some love it. my experience with it, when done and set up correctly you will get the same result. i can't really help with your idea, but hopefully my opinion would help you out.
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a retarted idea.

If your going to run a remote mount, buy the STS kit. If you want to run a front mount your going to have to do it like everyone else.

How do you think your going to fit 2/1 turbo's under the car? Long tubes would make for less spool as well, because the heat disipates threw them.

Tony.
TECH Enthusiast

i think i would be easier to do a rear mount with LT's

if your set on a turbo setup plan out the whole system
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

yeah. I think im going to try something like mid mount.. if possible. make my own set up some how.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

mid mount and stick the turbo where clearance is the big issue with that. you have pretty much two options one/two out back, or up front. imo
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

regardless of what others say. i dont think it is a horrible idea, technically if you were right behind the cat, that would be the most heat generated in the exhaust stream. i promise if you are planning on boost, its alot more than you would think in the beginning. so like i said, think about where you want to end up.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
mid mount and stick the turbo where clearance is the big issue with that. you have pretty much two options one/two out back, or up front. imo
well if you are like me, and have a BFH and dont care about the underside, suddenly clearance is not that huge of an issue
Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

ok lets be realistic here. where not using a 14b out of an eagle talon. im sure its going to be a turbo of decent size to match up w/ the cubes of the motor. Now in order for it to still be a street car, you have to look at the fact that ROCKS, dead animals on the road, pot wholes, speed bumps, driveways, etc will destroy a tubro you paid lots of money for. Putting a turbo mid mount is just retarded. Nomatter how big the hammer I still say front mount or rear.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To mid mount it, and still be streetable under all the circumstances Schweet mentioned, you are going to need to do fab work. Which is going to make it a 3 passenger car heh And you'll have a nice ugly box where the passenger seat would be, since that's what you'd have to do. Make a box where the turbo, and plumbing, would sit.

Front or back, there really is no mid like normal exhaust.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just buy this, its CHEAP and he does good work!!!

http://www.cz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543878
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

hmm interesting. ill let you guys no what im going to do. i scratched the mid mount.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I am surprised no one mentioned this, but there have been a couple "mid mount" LS1 twin turbo kits produced. Check out the APS TT kit, which is the same as the CAS and the old Incon kit. Cast iron manifolds that have the turbo mounted on opposite sides of the oil pan. Thats where another problem would lie, even if you could mount a turbo under the car to a set of long tubes, they are going to have a hell of a time supporting the turbo(s). ESPECIALLY after some heat cycles which is why the above kits came with cast iron manifolds.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SLawson86
my experience with it, when done and set up correctly you will get the same result. i can't really help with your idea, but hopefully my opinion would help you out.
You will never get the same results. Physics. Ask skinnies on here... he went from a rearmount small turbo to a front mount big turbo and the front mount murders he rearmount in spool time.

Rearmounts can make similar peak numbers up to a point, but area under the curve is much different.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I am surprised no one mentioned this, but there have been a couple "mid mount" LS1 twin turbo kits produced. Check out the APS TT kit, which is the same as the CAS and the old Incon kit. Cast iron manifolds that have the turbo mounted on opposite sides of the oil pan. Thats where another problem would lie, even if you could mount a turbo under the car to a set of long tubes, they are going to have a hell of a time supporting the turbo(s). ESPECIALLY after some heat cycles which is why the above kits came with cast iron manifolds.
Those arent necessarily mid mounts. They hang right off of the manifolds (which are much smaller/shorter) than long tubes. Its a just a TT setup that puts the turbos on the bellhousing side rather than the accessories side. Jim from speedinc did his LT1 setup like this a few years ago... in fact its for sale on cz28.com if you are dead set on twins.

I think the original poster is talking about mounting it under the floor pan... that will leave .5" of ground clearance

Justin - Thanks for the words!

Last edited by RealQuick; 10-22-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the input, more is appreciated!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
8 Second Club

Did that guy just flip his Stock manifolds for something? lol Hey, make it work, right?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RealQuick
You will never get the same results. Physics. Ask skinnies on here... he went from a rearmount small turbo to a front mount big turbo and the front mount murders he rearmount in spool time.

Rearmounts can make similar peak numbers up to a point, but area under the curve is much different.
Well may be my opinion, and my own "feel" of the vehicle, but i beg to differ. in distance if you actually measure out piping between rear and front mount cars you would find there is not actually that huge of a difference in pipe length. there are too many variables to consider in an arguement like this one, i have seen both in many applications and like i said, i have been in quite a few vehicles that in regards to spool time are about identical between the two. just my .02