LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help please.....fuel....i think???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please.....fuel....i think???

ok the problem: my car sputters when accelerating. seems like a horrid miss fire. but it stinks like gas and spits out a little smoke. can only get it to screw up on me when driving down the road.....cant get it to do it in driveway.

i think im getting too much fuel??? everything is untouched w/ the exception of new vaccuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator. i got the smallest stuff that the parts store had, ie...1/4". i do not have a gauge to check the pressure with so im kinda stuck. does anyone have any experience w/this issue?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did it happen right after putting the new hose on the regulator? That wouldn't change the PSI unless the regulator is messed up. Find a fuel pressure tester and put it on your windshield while you drive. I would check plugs and inspect all the wires. No codes?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

yes threw code. dont have a way of checking it. well i have a paper clip...but i cant get the light to blink like its supposed to???

yes and no. it initially started this a long time ago. but it was very rare...and i could put car in neutral and rap it out ie...5700 rpms...and she would clear out and run like a champ.

oh yea when it is doing this "sputtering" if i can keep my foot in it long enough....it clears out at higher rpms....thats another reason im leaning towards too much fuel...
Old 10-27-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can't use a paper clip to check the codes. That was a `93 thing. Go to advance auto parts and get it scanned, I think it's free. So find out the code and that will narrow down the possibilities.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Parts stores won't scan OBD1 cars.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Parts stores won't scan OBD1 cars.

yea...what he said. lol yea tried several times cuz i thought they were bullchittin me. lol thats where i learned the paper clip trick. if you knew the code they could look it up for ya.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

One of the best investments I have made so far is the OBD1 cable from WOT Electronics. You can download scanners for use on a laptop for free.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, didn't know they wouldn't mess with OBDI. I just do it myself with my laptop. Go to the dealership or buy the cable if you have a laptop.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

hmmm.....sounds like a good idea
Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Buy the cable cuz you'll have as much wrapped up into a dealer scan.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sputtering at lower RPM's, smelling unburnt fuel, cleans out at high RPM's = sounds just like a plug wire issue. Check all your wires, make sure none of them have fallen off the opti or the plugs. Make sure they are all nice and tight. When's the last time you changed plugs and wires? If they are all tight, pop the hood in a dark area, look from the top and bottom on both banks, see if you can see any of the wires arching.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

ok. nothing on the headers....all tight.

but...saw a little light coming from the coil wire. near the boot at the coil. it actually looks as if it has been touching my water hose and arc-ing across there. so being brave....i reached down and touched the wire!! lol nothing bad happened....but it was lighting up around my finger where i was making contact with the wire. you know....kinda like one of those lil ***** you can put your hand on and all the electricity goes to your hand?? so i have a spare coil wire layin around...i will try that right now.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

ok. spare coil wire....cracked. no good. finally found the trash. lol

put some elec. tape around current wire and added fiberglass sleeve. zip tied wire away from coolant hose. still arc-ing through.

and got my car to a darker place....looks like there may also be a cracked plug...as i can see some light coming from the base of the plug/boot on the #3 cylinder.

also....it looks like i can see the coil itself arc-ing??? just like a wire would. little white glow. but its the whole unit itself??? it is an accel piece that i bought from a local f-body guy. (not a sponsor so no name) maybe i need to replace coil, wires, plugs??? but damnit i dont wanna spend money troubleshooting anymore....this **** gets old!!!!

Quick Reply: help please.....fuel....i think???