LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

suspension packages???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension packages???

hey guys, i'm planning to start working on the suspension components of my car. i forgot where i saw it, but a friend of mine directed me to a website that sold some packages. there's an ultimate package that includes everything to create a fully suspended car, but it's 2800 dollars. so instead i was thinking of going with a kit that includes a panhard rod and control arms for about $400. do you guys think this will be all i need for a while? thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your going to get more out of a torque arm. You can get a nice UMI one for $400. If your still having traction problems, get rear lower control arms. From my experience, a torque arm and lower control arms do the most.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many sponsors that carry the parts; UMIperformance is one example.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

FWIW go with a torque arm that DOES NOT bolt to the transmission. I think BMR sells a crossmember that makes the torque arm bolt just off to the side. If you can, find a shorter torque arm, along with boxed or tubular lower control arms, and some relocation brackets for the arms.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Launching!

why would you not want it to bolt to the transmission? and would an adjustable torque arm be a good choice?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Go with UMI:

http://www.umiperformance.com/2203?category_id=130

Old 10-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I like my BMR stuff. It works rather well.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fbodyfreek
why would you not want it to bolt to the transmission? and would an adjustable torque arm be a good choice?

^^ yeah y wouldnt you want it to bolt on to the tranny? And adjustable Vs. non-adjustable.... pros-cons
Old 10-28-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard a properly adjustable torque arm that isnt set right can lead to premature 10 bolt death, but just about anything can, haha.

Oh on a sidenot for all you suspension guys, just go in contact with stranoparts and bilsteins have and will be on a national back order for QUITE a while.

I was sad
Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't say a maladjusted torque arm would lead to 10 bolt death, but setting the pinion angle too far in the negative range will wear out u-joints a lot quicker.

As for not attaching the torque arm to the tranny, with the stock mounting you're putting that upward force on the transmission mount. It's just a poor design.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Launching!

originally posted by ecniv
As for not attaching the torque arm to the tranny, with the stock mounting you're putting that upward force on the transmission mount. It's just a poor design.
that explains why i've gone through two transmission mounts already, haha. that combined with a lot of racing. i really need a poly next time it snaps.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ecniv
I wouldn't say a maladjusted torque arm would lead to 10 bolt death, but setting the pinion angle too far in the negative range will wear out u-joints a lot quicker.

Also, too much of a differential between the two angles leads to u-joint wear even if it is within the recommended range as a total, and too high positive angle leads to wheel hop, which can pull the gears out of a perfect mesh and grenade a 10bolt in a heartbeat.

I run the UMI adjustable tq arm, using the stock location. Unfortunatly I cannot run the crossmember mounted one due to my exhaust system, but their are really only two reasons for crossmember mounted ones, and I doubt there would be a measurable performance difference between the two.

The tailshaft mounted tq arms can and do ruin the tranny mounts, but a poly mount will make it less likely. Also, it is like a 5 min part to change so not a big deal IMO.

Also, technically there is a chance of breaking the tranny tailshaft(ouch!) in a high power application...I'm sure it has happened before but it is very uncommon. I cannot remember a single time that I know of it occuring. If it did though I would guess the driveshaft and rear will both go too .
Although that happening is unlikely, losing the tranny, driveshaft, and rear all at the same time would be horrible.

Either method is hundreds of times better then the stocker. Mine was actually bent upwards and slightly twisted at the rear when I pulled it.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Teching In

okay, i have not freakin idea what you guys are talkin about. newbie here and looking to upgrade my suspension pretty soon to. what should i do?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kapparosko
okay, i have not freakin idea what you guys are talkin about. newbie here and looking to upgrade my suspension pretty soon to. what should i do?
There are different things to get depending on what you want to do with the car (drag, autocross, street only). Call up UMI Performance and tell them what you want to do with the car. You don't have to buy from them, but they will let you know which components to get.

Quick Reply: suspension packages???