LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help, water in headers:(

Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, water in headers:(

Hi everyone, wanted to ask a question. never had seen this before. just got a 94 lt1 Firebird with some add-ons. Had a leaking header gasket, has the BBK long tubes...the guy dropped it off and left. as I am filling the radiator, the water seems to be pouring out of the exhaust ports
As i said, never seen it before. it even crancks over but the water pours out of the headers. I mean it is weird. As I am filling the radiator, it flows out of the exhaust could it be the heads? the intake gasket?
Surprizingly there is no water in the engine oil, so I am lost.
please help me understand this.
Greg
Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like pouring water or dripping?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

wouldn't that be a head gasket
Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

as I am filling the radiator, I can see the water pouring out of the exhaust, then when I stop, The water pouring stops. I did not think it was the head gasket because the oil has NO water in it. I would have suspected that it would have water mixed in the oil. Thats why it did not make any sence.
Greg
Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a head gasket is the water coming out of the headers green coolant?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:45 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see how it could be the headers in any case unless your seeing condensation from hell.

The header flange is higher then your head gasket, so it couldnt be leaking off the header. im betting you a worn gasket.

Where is it leaking from exactly?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe its coming from a bad freeze plug and not headers.

I had a V6 in the shop the other day and I noticed he was dripping some nast orange coolant (if you could call it that, more like rust in liquid form) and so I poured about a gallon in and it ran out just as fast as I poured it in and one of the techs thought it was coming from the manifold.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Like TAenvy said, the water pours out at a same pace as I am pouring into the radiator. Its very bizarre. The oil however does not look too mixed with water at all, maybe its little thinner, but it definetly does not look all choppy and brounish. I have been researching and I decided that it may be the head gasket after all. Especially noticeable when the headers are off and I tried to crank the engine over, water shot out of the exhaust ports, but surprizingly again, the car started and idled CRAPPY, but it actually started
I am thinking its the gasket part that surrounds the water channel thats busted... It was just rebuilt and maybe they did not bolt down the heads correctly. Hate to trash the car, it looks good and its a 6sp...
Could the freeze plugs pour the water into the cylinders and out of the exhaust ports?
Like I said, it pours out at the same speed as going in, and fills up my exhaust...
Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drgrigoriy
Like TAenvy said, the water pours out at a same pace as I am pouring into the radiator. Its very bizarre. The oil however does not look too mixed with water at all, maybe its little thinner, but it definetly does not look all choppy and brounish. I have been researching and I decided that it may be the head gasket after all. Especially noticeable when the headers are off and I tried to crank the engine over, water shot out of the exhaust ports, but surprizingly again, the car started and idled CRAPPY, but it actually started
I am thinking its the gasket part that surrounds the water channel thats busted... It was just rebuilt and maybe they did not bolt down the heads correctly. Hate to trash the car, it looks good and its a 6sp...
Could the freeze plugs pour the water into the cylinders and out of the exhaust ports?
Like I said, it pours out at the same speed as going in, and fills up my exhaust...
ya man sounds like somethings not set right.. it should be easy to tell if it was a freeze plug or something..... u just bought it and the guy dropped it off like tihs? go kick his ***
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Just bought it and the guy said that it ONLY needed a exhaust header gasket...
I am going to take the heads off, I guess, that way I can see for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, water in headers:(