LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which Breather for Canton Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Breather for Canton Valve Covers

I recently installed the Canton valve covers on my LT1 but am unsure as to which valve cover breather to go with. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28man
I recently installed the Canton valve covers on my LT1 but am unsure as to which valve cover breather to go with. Any advice would be appreciated.
To be frank, it doesnt really matter. I headed over to discount auto and got a big chrome one that was like 15 bucks, and the grommet set that was like 3. Looks good, works fine, and hasnt cracked or messed up in the heat in around a year of DD duty.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
To be frank, it doesnt really matter. I headed over to discount auto and got a big chrome one that was like 15 bucks, and the grommet set that was like 3. Looks good, works fine, and hasnt cracked or messed up in the heat in around a year of DD duty.
It does indeed matter. It isnt a push in style like stock LT1 valve covers with a grommet. The breather needs to be threaded in.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RealQuick
It does indeed matter. It isnt a push in style like stock LT1 valve covers with a grommet. The breather needs to be threaded in.
Did you read my post?

They sell the correct grommet in a 2 pack kit for like 3 bucks at most autopart stores. Fits right into the cantons hole, and allows any style breather filter to be used.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Did you read my post?

They sell the correct grommet in a 2 pack kit for like 3 bucks at most autopart stores. Fits right into the cantons hole, and allows any style breather filter to be used.
Yeah, you didnt mention specifically that you had cantons, so I thought you were talking about stock VC's when you mentioned grommet. I dont see why you would need a grommet. Cant someone just find a breather that threads in?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Yeah, you didnt mention specifically that you had cantons, so I thought you were talking about stock VC's when you mentioned grommet. I dont see why you would need a grommet. Cant someone just find a breather that threads in?
Technically, yea...but its a cheap set that comes with 2 different I/D grommets, and will allow you to use any aftermarket breather you want

I personally have not seen a thread in VC breather like that, but I'm sure they are out there.

Quick Reply: Which Breather for Canton Valve Covers