LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

surging at 65 or over????

Old 11-01-2007, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default surging at 65 or over????

i did a search and came up with a close thread to my problem but it never said what the problem was or how it was fixed...changed my tranny fluid about 30,000 miles ago, all looked good. i have my line pressure up'd a little bit, and i have a b&m shift improver installed as well, other than that the tranny is stock!!! just started this about 5000 miles ago. if i have the shift improver on or off, cruising between 65-75 cruise on or off, the car will surge every once or so. it just feels like it downshifts for a second then back to normal, the rpms raise about 2-300 or so and the car kinda jumps then its all good. sometimes it does it alot other times hardly at all??? some one once suggesed the converter wasnt staying locked and i could remove the pan and look for a sensor or something? is the tranny just going out, odd cause it runs fine around town, and pulls hard at the strip!! any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Sounds like the lockup solenoid or sensor(what ever its called) is going bad. Unplug the lockup weather pack, and see if it goes away.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

unplug it, can you give me a location of where that is located? thanks for the reply as well!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Look in a haynes maual. Im not exactly sure, I know on my gmc truck the lock up was on the driver side of the tranny. Since I have a m6 camaro not to familiar with a4. The sensor towards the back of tranny is speed sensor. If there is a sensor in front of the vss (towards the engine), this is the lockup switch. If you unplug dont run it for a long time. Just long enough to determin if its the problem. I know its a common problem with gm trannies, as I had the same problem with the 700r4 in my truck.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

First off, what year is the car? If your OBDII, good chances a Tech 2 scan tool can command torque converter lockup and monitor sensors.
There is no way to disconnect the TCC solenoid in a 4L60E. From the description, it does sound like the converter clutch is pulsing on and off. It doesn't necessarily have to be a tranny problem though. The tranny uses engine sensors to do different operations (lockup, shift timing,firmness, etc.) So they may be a problem with the TPS, ETC, MAP, or you have a slight misfire. If it is a tranny problem.. it could be the TCC solenoid, low pump output, bad seals, torque converter clutch failure.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

wow that is alot of variables, that sucks really!!!! i havent had it scanned cause it is NOT throwing any codes what so ever???? also the car is a 96 trans am, a4....it did it again last night and i laid on the brake some and it seemed to quit, i dont know, im for sure at a loss here!!! not to long ago i put new plugs in it, tr56 and new wires, msd, and some other stuff just for maintenance, i dont remember it doing this before that, i have had the computer tweaked a little bit, but the guy really knows what he is doing!!!! thanks for all and any more thoughts you have and can pass along!!! i think i will be saving my money to put it in the shop for some looking into!!! thanks again
Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Hmmm, my car does the same thing, sorta. It does it maybe once or twice a week but it seems to get slightly more common. It ususally happens just above 50 at light throttle, but also occurs at 65-75 mph. The car feels like its shifting gears (i guess its more off the engine jumping from one rpm to another, not necessarily the trans shifting) but thats kinda weird seeing as how i only have 4 gears and the car goes into all of them. Someone suggested it might be the converter trying to lock up. Which would mean that my lock up switch must be bad because i usually cruise at 2500 rpm at 70mph and when this happens it will drop down 200-400 rpm. I can feel the car jumping back and forth and it will do it a couple times then when i take my foot off the gas it goes away. This is kind of similar to m2g4b's problem but rpm's jump in the opposite direction. The tranny was rebuilt 5,000 miles ago (stock rebuild) and this problem didnt start occuring until recently. Im kind of at a loss. Sorry if this is a bit of a highjack but i figured it could put a different spin on our problems.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ralls
First off, what year is the car? If your OBDII, good chances a Tech 2 scan tool can command torque converter lockup and monitor sensors.
There is no way to disconnect the TCC solenoid in a 4L60E. From the description, it does sound like the converter clutch is pulsing on and off. It doesn't necessarily have to be a tranny problem though. The tranny uses engine sensors to do different operations (lockup, shift timing,firmness, etc.) So they may be a problem with the TPS, ETC, MAP, or you have a slight misfire. If it is a tranny problem.. it could be the TCC solenoid, low pump output, bad seals, torque converter clutch failure.
Thanks for clearing this up! I said that I was not familiar with the a4. The problem sounds like a lock-up issue, because the car sounds like it is kicking in and out of lockup. I do agree that electronic trannies are sensative to how the engine is performing. A missfire could make the tranny drop out of lockup to get the rpms back up! Come on guys more input, I am interested to see what the actual problem may be.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

hey there, no problem on the "hijack" at all, the more input the merrier, and to know i am not the only one with the problem....let me get this straight if i can, at that speed with light throttle is the coverter "locked" or unlocked??? and is the lockout sensor the one that is inside the tranny, if you take the pan off? i really dont think i have a misfire, i have drove it 90+ miles one time and it still never threw a code, i would think at that distance it would show something, and sitting at idle it is as smooth as can be, heck even around town it runs great!!! even at 40 mph around town it runs great!!!! stupid electronics, LOL.....could be as simple as that one little sensor or something completely different!!! but anyway, keep posting help guys and ideas, and we will keep trying and posting what happens!!! thanks again
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes m2g4b, the converter is "locked" at cursing speeds under light throttle. My car will start to lock at 45mph.

The solenoids can be replaced with just taking off the pan. All the solenoids can be disconnected from the wiring harness except the TCC (torque conveter clutch).. because it's part of the harness. The only other solenoid that could be messed up is the PWM (pulse width modulated) solenoid. They are only held in by a c-clip. Check this out for pics. http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...-4L65Esolenoid

But since your OBDII, you should take it to the dealer and have them do some diagnosing. Even if your not throwing a code, a scan tool will let you monitor sensors and command tranny functions.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Default Update!!!!

hey there just to let everyone in on my update.....i started checking around on the car once i found out how many variables there could be with this problem. well i found mine!!! the back spark plugs were loose on both side!!! i had a friend help me install them and i didnt check his work, lol...so i guess he didnt torc them down tight or something!! but either way, i torc'ed them down the best i could and no problems!!! i guess is was creating just enough of a miss to throw it in and out of lockup, never thru a code though so that still boggles me, but oh well its fixed and running good!!! thanks for all the input on this thread!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Prime example that it's not always the tranny at fault. Nice find!

Search this Thread