LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 possible starter wiring problem?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 possible starter wiring problem?

So last weekend I put my friends new lt1 motor in his car.

Everything went fine for the most part until I tried to start it.

When I turned the key nothing happened (starter didnt turn) Thught maybe the starter silinoid was going bad so I tapped on it.. nothing. Lights were kinda dam, so I tried to jump it. Nothing again.

So then I went under the car and crossed the starter posts with a screwdriver to see if I could start it that way. As soon as I crossed them, the starter turned, but the silinoid locked forward and the starter kept spinning trying to start the motor. the battery didnt have enough juice to start the car, but the stater just kept turning and turning the motor slower and slower as the battery died instead of stopping when I pulled the screwdriver away. As I was frantically trying to unbolt the ground wire from the battery, the ground wire was getting HOT and the negative terminal on the battery started letting off some smoke from the heat.

I don't know exactly why it would do this. Common sense tells me that somewhere positive power is getting to that ground wire, but I dunno how. I hooked up everything properly.

Two small wires go to the small starter post (positive power)

1 Big one goes to the big post (ground wire)

One ground to the block above the starter

Battery terminal positive and negative

One ground wire going to the body by the fender

One positive wire going to the relay on the fender

That's all the wires in that loom accounted for as far as I know.

So can anyone give me some insight as to what the heck I did wrong?

Ive done more then a couple ls1 swaps and havnt ever had this problem, although this is the first lt1.

Search this Thread