LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

getting heads and cam for the lt1

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting heads and cam for the lt1

well yea yall heard it. the lt1 is getting some heads and cam. all for 500. but i have some questions. what is a block and what type of block do i have cause im not going to put the heads on the engine that i have no cause its to many miles. so i was thinking if i could get another lt1 block then placed the heads on there.

thats if i have the right definition of a block
Old 11-05-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

No offense but if you don't even know what an engine block is I don't think you should be doing heads or cam. Take it slow and do easier mods first.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

hahahaha yea i thought i was wrong. so what is it. i always thought it was just a engine that didnt have heads or anything.

BTW i just wasnt going to go straight into the package right away lol.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off just let me say...I love reading your threads!

You can't just throw any heads and cam on your LT1, they have to be LT1 specific. You will not get heads and cam for $500 unless they are stock pieces. (no offense) Of course since you are not very car knowledgeable someone could be taking advantage of you and selling you stock pieces for very expensive.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

well here is the story basically me and my uncle who also owns a lt1 (not the one who fucked up my car in the first place) is taking my engine out soon , i had plans on buying a ls1 and i thought (**** that) i decided to restore my dads car cause i got tired of it sitting outside. im not going to put the cam and heads on right now but in the future.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/805754-fs-lt1-heads.html
Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by That_guy
but i have some questions. what is a block and what type of block do i have
i just fell off of my chair!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

now wait that what block question is do i have a small or a big block i always thought it was a small block.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off what I am about to say is not only directed towards yall but others who have something to say other than helping this guy out. No I do not know him . I am tired of people picking on him and saying smart *** comments maybe this guy does not have anybody around to teach him like a dad or other male figure obviously he is young, but he has the will to learn and do it himself so he has my respect. We were all there at a point learning This is a tech forum not used for criticizing and ******* the **** out of people. Give the guy some respect that is all I am asking and if you do not have anything nice to say or helpful advice please refrain from posting. Once again this is not directed towards both of yall because you guys did not say something that offensive but I have seen other threads where people bash the hell out of him and I just wanted to speak my mind. No I am not a mod or nobody that important just a guy who was in his shoes a long time ago. Thanks

Oh thatguy I am in your area and know a thing or two about LT motors and if you have a question I will give you what I know from my best knowledge if you want you can PM me anytime good luck with your build.
Oh you might wanna check into getting a shortblock that is balanced and forged already may save you hassle and there are couple of reputable companies that offer them.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
First off what I am about to say is not only directed towards yall but others who have something to say other than helping this guy out. No I do not know him . I am tired of people picking on him and saying smart *** comments maybe this guy does not have anybody around to teach him like a dad or other male figure obviously he is young, but he has the will to learn and do it himself so he has my respect. We were all there at a point learning This is a tech forum not used for criticizing and ******* the **** out of people. Give the guy some respect that is all I am asking and if you do not have anything nice to say or helpful advice please refrain from posting. Once again this is not directed towards both of yall because you guys did not say something that offensive but I have seen other threads where people bash the hell out of him and I just wanted to speak my mind. Thanks

Oh thatguy I am in your area and know a thing or two about LT motors and if you have a question I will give you what I know from my best knowledge if you want you can PM me anytime good luck with your build.
Oh you might wanna check into getting a shortblock that is balanced and forged already may save you hassle and there are couple of reputable companies that offer them.
yea but its funny when its a random question like that.

back on topic.

you have a smallblock. the block is the cast iron part of the LT1 engine that houses the pistons. crank, and rods. the whole part of the engine below the heads and intake manifold is the block.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
First off what I am about to say is not only directed towards yall but others who have something to say other than helping this guy out. No I do not know him . I am tired of people picking on him and saying smart *** comments maybe this guy does not have anybody around to teach him like a dad or other male figure obviously he is young, but he has the will to learn and do it himself so he has my respect. We were all there at a point learning This is a tech forum not used for criticizing and ******* the **** out of people. Give the guy some respect that is all I am asking and if you do not have anything nice to say or helpful advice please refrain from posting. Once again this is not directed towards both of yall because you guys did not say something that offensive but I have seen other threads where people bash the hell out of him and I just wanted to speak my mind. No I am not a mod or nobody that important just a guy who was in his shoes a long time ago. Thanks

lol youve seen me lol i was at the meet at hooters and thanks for the post. no i dont have a dad around just a uncle and some fellow fbody friends

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
yea but its funny when its a random question like that.

back on topic.

you have a smallblock. the block is the cast iron part of the LT1 engine that houses the pistons. crank, and rods. the whole part of the engine below the heads and intake manifold is the block.
so i was right i just didnt know how to explain it basically
Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol youve seen me lol i was at the meet at hooters and thanks for the post. no i dont have a dad around just a uncle and some fellow fbody friends

Sorry I did not remember man next time come up and introduce yourself I am terrible with names but if I get your face with a handshake I will remember next time.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

will do
Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Guy, an LT1 short block is a smallblock, but it is notably different than a "Chevy smallblock". The rotating assembly is very similar, but the block itself is nothing like and NOT interchangeable with the earluier "smallblock Chevy". If you got a 500 deal on heads, likely they are for the earlier Chevy smallblock, and will not be usable with the LT1 block.

I encourage you to read all the FAQs for LT1s before you start collecting parts.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

o yea they used to be on a lt1. took em off at 10000 miles. i knew my car was a sbc i was thinking if it was a short or long block
Old 11-06-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

a long block is when you buy crate engines or talk about an engine complete with heads and/or accessories and intake.

shortblock means block and rotating assembly.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

I had no idea you had all these questions. You should have asked.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those heads have stock valves...and the guides arent even touched...they wont make much more power then stock...imo id would do the cam and leave those heads off...i think you might even be better with stockers...plus youll save on a buncha time and not haveing to buy headgaskets
Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, this isn't funny anymore.

Who is this, for real? SpeedDensity? Tony is that you? Formula350? Maybe Porksoda? Who the hell still thinks this is funny?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i knew my car was a sbc i was thinking if it was a short or long block

Quit joking.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Umm he's not joking.

That_Guy the block is the core of the engine, it's what everything attaches to, it's big and made of heavy metal. There ya go. Those heads aren't that bad, I was gonna buy 'em and have some port work done, but you got'em first. Have fun.

Quick Reply: getting heads and cam for the lt1