LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

52mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 52mm throttle body

Does a 52mm TB botl up using stock locations or do you have to fab it up? I heard but I can't rememeber if it was 52 or 58 where fab works begins a little.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

52mm will match right up with the stock ports on the intake manifold. 58 will require that you open up the ports to 58mm if you want to take any advantage of it.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet. Guess I will be buying the 52mm later this week.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Don't mean to hijack!!!but i was thinking about getting a 52mm to, but with just bolt ons will u benefit from it!! i have heard from some ppl that you can poss. loss low end power???
Old 11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95CamZ
Don't mean to hijack!!!but i was thinking about getting a 52mm to, but with just bolt ons will u benefit from it!! i have heard from some ppl that you can poss. loss low end power???

I think you can, but I am hopefully getting a cam in the next two months. It probably won't be going on right away either. It needs a litttle clean up cause it is used.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got one for sale if anyone is intrested it has a billet red z28 plate on top its an edelbrock piece, $135 + shipping
Old 11-12-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95CamZ
I have no idea how in the world a bigger TB could hurt your low end power....

That said, it won't really do anything with bolt-ons. Better throttle response so the car will "feel" faster, but that's about it.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Launching!

originally posted by nighthawk15
That said, it won't really do anything with bolt-ons. Better throttle response so the car will "feel" faster, but that's about it.
could someone explain that? how could it not help if it's taking in a significantly more amount of air? so you're saying that a larger throttle body doesn't necessarily help until you start playing with power adders?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fbodyfreek
could someone explain that? how could it not help if it's taking in a significantly more amount of air? so you're saying that a larger throttle body doesn't necessarily help until you start playing with power adders?
It is really not needed until you start talking decent size cams and head/cam combos, etc. It doesn't help because your engine simply cannot flow more air than the heads and cam will allow, no matter how big your TB is. Just like how a better intake manifold won't do anything for you under about 500hp.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fbodyfreek
It all depends on what you have done. If you can get the extra air out, then it will help. But say you are on stock heads, exhaust, cam, all that good stuff, it is still going to be restricted. Now having other bolt-ons it will help. How much? I don't know, but I guess I will find out soon enough.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Launching!

The reason that a larger throttle body can hurt your low end is this: Low end power is significantly dependant on air velocity. When you start opening up the throttle body, your air velocity can drop, if you don't modify the rest of the engine (valvetrain, exhaust) to compensate, then your power under the curve changes to where you lose low end power. Typically, with this loss in low end, the mid-range or high-end RPM power will rise. It's a trade-off.

So, your choice is dependant on how much you want to modify, and what kind of modifications you are going to do. Some people will choose to go with a large throttle body, a big cam, and then a large exhaust. Overall power will rise significantly, and your low end power will probably be lower than stock, but the curve will rise faster than stock, so your car will be significantly faster. Excellent tuning can overcome this trade-off somewhat. Alternatives can include running slight small exhaust tubing to create more backpressure, thus creating more port velocity. It just depends on what you want to do, create a track monster, or a street monster. At the track, high RPM power is great. All in all, huge power, when put to the ground with a great 60 foot, and a ton of high-rpm power, will net great track times, and fun street driving to boot.

I'll stop rambling now.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jasonp31
The reason that a larger throttle body can hurt your low end is this: Low end power is significantly dependant on air velocity. When you start opening up the throttle body, your air velocity can drop, if you don't modify the rest of the engine (valvetrain, exhaust) to compensate, then your power under the curve changes to where you lose low end power. Typically, with this loss in low end, the mid-range or high-end RPM power will rise. It's a trade-off.

So, your choice is dependant on how much you want to modify, and what kind of modifications you are going to do. Some people will choose to go with a large throttle body, a big cam, and then a large exhaust. Overall power will rise significantly, and your low end power will probably be lower than stock, but the curve will rise faster than stock, so your car will be significantly faster. Excellent tuning can overcome this trade-off somewhat. Alternatives can include running slight small exhaust tubing to create more backpressure, thus creating more port velocity. It just depends on what you want to do, create a track monster, or a street monster. At the track, high RPM power is great. All in all, huge power, when put to the ground with a great 60 foot, and a ton of high-rpm power, will net great track times, and fun street driving to boot.

I'll stop rambling now.

Great explanation, never really thought of that before.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Haha yea now i kno in detail y the ppl i talked to said u can lose low end!thanks

Quick Reply: 52mm throttle body