LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Guaging interest. The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guaging interest. The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.

When I was building my turbo setup; I, like many others, was faced with the issue of alternator relocation while trying to retain power steering. This bracket is what i came up with. Since making mine, I have had many members of this board contact me, wanting a similar bracket.

I've decided that if I can get about 5 people to "pre-order" these, I can go ahead and make some for a target cost of about $400 per bracket.

This bracket uses the stock LT1 alternator, stock LT1 power steering pump, and an LS1 spring tensioner. Installation will require either the removal or relocation of your front swaybar. (most that will use this bracket have long ditched the front bar anyway).

Here are some pictures of my bracket (which was cut and milled by hand), and some CAD models of what the "production" bracket will look like (which will be cut on a cnc waterjet).
Attached Thumbnails Guaging interest.  The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.-bracket-001_small.jpg   Guaging interest.  The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.-bracket-002_small.jpg   Guaging interest.  The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.-bracket1.jpg   Guaging interest.  The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.-bracket2.jpg   Guaging interest.  The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.-bracket3.jpg  

Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see a pic from the front underside of the car showing how much ground clearance there is with this bolted up.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That LOOKS like you could put a vacuum pump on the drivers side and run it with the serpentine belt, now THAT would be cool.

David
Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I'd like to see a pic from the front underside of the car showing how much ground clearance there is with this bolted up.
Here is a picture of it mounted. please excuse my filthy car. The k-member is still the lowest point on the front of car.
Attached Thumbnails Guaging interest.  The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.-bracket-005.jpg  
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

$400 for a bracket is extremely expensive, doubt you'll get many sales with the price that high.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by zlover129
$400 for a bracket is extremely expensive, doubt you'll get many sales with the price that high.
i disagree. i know a few that would pay the price to keep their power steering. very nicely engineered piece. looks pretty heavy duty, not like some flimsy piece that will keep throwing belts.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that it's a well thought out/engineered piece. I think the only thing that might hold you back is the swaybar issue. (That might make it a hard sell with the daily driver crowd.)

I took the liberty of doing a little research to see what would be involved in relocating the swaybar, but I came up empty. Do you have any info on this?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can probably cut out a nice chunk of the lower corner to save some weight and bulk, without compromising structural integrity.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I agree that it's a well thought out/engineered piece. I think the only thing that might hold you back is the swaybar issue. (That might make it a hard sell with the daily driver crowd.)

I took the liberty of doing a little research to see what would be involved in relocating the swaybar, but I came up empty. Do you have any info on this?
I have no info on doing this. I myself am not sure how much lower it would have to go to clear the alternator. I just figured everyone who would need the extra clearance in the upper part of the engine bay would need so for a large turbo setup, which are mostly track cars, so no need for the swaybar anyway?

I did not even try to make the swaybar work. Im sure where it mounts to the frame could just be dropped to provide enough clearance, how much I dont know.

My car is a daily driver and I have had no issues without the front bar.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zlover129
I appreciate your opinion, but at $400 per piece, I would barely be profiting, and that is not including the hours it took to design this piece.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9sec93
i disagree. i know a few that would pay the price to keep their power steering. very nicely engineered piece. looks pretty heavy duty, not like some flimsy piece that will keep throwing belts.
well bring em on! haha. Thanks for the compliment. Its never once thrown a belt, even with the spring tensioner. And my motor turns 7k rpm more than it should...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sdm1234
you can probably cut out a nice chunk of the lower corner to save some weight and bulk, without compromising structural integrity.

Good point. Hows this?
Attached Thumbnails Guaging interest.  The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.-bracket4.jpg  
Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by will62085
I appreciate your opinion, but at $400 per piece, I would barely be profiting, and that is not including the hours it took to design this piece.
+1 on the design part. People under-estimate how much time it takes to design and model something.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

im all for the design and i am very much aware of the engineering involved. It is an awesome piece, but if you look at what usually happens, especially with LT1 owners, it just wont sell, people would rather spend $400 on something else or spend the time designing their own just for themselves (as i am working with someone to do right now) I hope it works out for you, i really do, im just fore warning you that you more then likely will not sell many.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

That is a VERY nice piece!! If I had a need I would buy it, but I don't. As far as the sway bar issue......I have NOT had one for years on my car and I can hardly tell the difference. I would not even consider putting a sway bar on a F-body unless I was auto-crossing. JMO.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

This bracket will also delete the large metal accessory bracket on the passenger side of the engine correct? Nice design by the way!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Have you ever gotten caught in the rain with it? I was just wondering if there would be any issues with the belt slipping off when wet. Although the crank pulley isn't that far off the ground stock I guess and it probably gets wet too.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Yes the stock bracket is not used.

And i've been in the rain many times with it, and I have never had an issue.

I'm not out to make money on these, But over the past year since I've had it, a few members on the board have wanted more information on it, or have asked me to make them one. So, here it is. If there is interest, i'll make a few, if not. No big deal.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am guessing that is a Aluminum Piece??? How much does that thing Weigh?? I think stated before, but we can get rid of the ugly aluminum accessory bracket that holds the Alternator???
$400 is high in my opinion, how much is the LS1 tensioner??
I am interested since I will have a Procharger on the bottom on the drivers side and I want to keep my PS.
Also what Sizew belt do we need?? PN???

I'll want one I just want more info and maybe a little cheaper, LOL.
$400 wouldn't be possibly that bad if you supply the bolts, Belt and the tensioner(depending on how expensive the tensioner is)??????? Just an Idea, b/c it makes it a more bolt-on deal, just for thought.

Good point. Hows this?
Attached Thumbnails
I was thinking the same thing, nice.

Last edited by T/A KID; 11-14-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by T/A KID
I am guessing that is a Aluminum Piece??? How much does that thing Weigh?? I think stated before, but we can get rid of the ugly aluminum accessory bracket that holds the Alternator???
$400 is high in my opinion, how much is the LS1 tensioner??
I am interested since I will have a Procharger on the bottom on the drivers side and I want to keep my PS.
Also what Sizew belt do we need?? PN???

I'll want one I just want more info and maybe a little cheaper, LOL.
$400 wouldn't be possibly that bad if you supply the bolts, Belt and the tensioner(depending on how expensive the tensioner is)??????? Just an Idea, b/c it makes it a more bolt-on deal, just for thought.

I was thinking the same thing, nice.
Any part store can get you the tensoiner, ie, Advance auto parts has the tensioner for $40. Ill look at my belt to get you the proper length, but it cost me around $30.

I was planning on supplying the bolts and the standoffs.

It is all made from 0.500" 6061 T6 Aluminum. After the waterjet, the milling and tapping that needs to be done, and supplying the bolts and standoffs, If i sold them for much less that $400 I would be loosing money.

And again, yes, the stock bracket gets thrown in the garbage.

Like i said, I'm not doing this to turn it into a business, But after people contacted me on this board about my bracket, I figured i'de try and help some people out.

Quick Reply: Guaging interest. The Ultimate LT1 alternator relocation bracket.