LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Golden ...? crate engine builder?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golden ...? crate engine builder?

im looking at a 94 z28/6spd tomorrow and the guy says it has a 383 in it from a company called Golden something.anyone know of a company with the first name "golden" that sales crate motors?

the car is in texas

also what is this coil conversion hes talking about.indevidual coil packs or something.cant understand him to good over the phone.

thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Good company, they have been around for awhile so there doing something right.

Do a search on the net and check them out!

Coil conversion could be a delteq or LTCC kit
Do a search on everything your interested in and you will find ton's of info on this site and others.

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 11-22-2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Removing a link edited by a moderator!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

sweet thats what i want to here.swapping this mustang for it,maybe,tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a winner. a golen 383 should be a very dependable engine. and the coil pack conversion is nice to already have done as well. just make sure its not ragged all to hell. even if it is it will be better than a mustang.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't go wrong with them.Chad was cool enough to take time out of his day to answer a few of my questions!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you do a search got Golen here you will find that those of us with a clue would discourage you from buyinf his motors, they are mediocre at best and far too many guys have issues.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...ighlight=Golen

If the engine has Golen heads then it will be weak power wise not just strenght wise. Some guys do OK with them but too many have issues to warrant trying it.

The multicoil systems have some advantages but many who do them do it because of blind, ignorant opti hate.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heard nothing but good things about the engines, they also offer LE heads for their builds.
A+ in my book
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Funny caprice your the only one I hear that knocks golen! I had my shortblock done by golen, going strong for over 3yrs now. Heads were done by LPE. Not saying your wrong, but I have never heard anything bad. I think golen would be a good choice for a shortblock, then have your stock heads worked by A.I., speed inc., or LPE!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Funny caprice your the only one I hear that knocks golen! I had my shortblock done by golen, going strong for over 3yrs now. Heads were done by LPE. Not saying your wrong, but I have never heard anything bad. I think golen would be a good choice for a shortblock, then have your stock heads worked by A.I., speed inc., or LPE!

King, I'm going to have to side somewhat with Dwayne. I know of at least 2-3 other people on ISSF that have had nothing but issues with their Golen engines. The local guy's 383 isn't much better. Engine was broken in properly, and car burns almost a 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Mine seems to be fine, it don't consume oil like that! It also pulls great vacum too, around 18in at idle. Im not saying there has not ever been a problem with one of there motors. I just though overall the had a pretty good reputation!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

i dont believe any one engine builder has 100% satisfied customers
things do happen.not to say Dwayne does not have a valid point,he does
cause i have read stories, some were definately installer problems!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Part of me wonders if most of the people with decent engines bought engines YEARS ago before volume caused a drop in quality????
Happened over and over again where good shops go bad due to too rapid growth.

Part of what you have to understand too is people in general are IDIOTS, guiys on the Impala board with 320rwhp golen strokers that have shortblock issues in as little as 5K miles say good things. Would you call any of that a reasonable basis for a positive review?

IMO a lot of the feedback on companies is withing weeks of part installation and that does not tell a complete story.
Transmissions in particular I have seen a lot of shops boom for 6 months or a year with a great reputation then ALL their builds fall apart, more important to know what guys have to say after abusing parts for a couple years long as quality has stayed consistent over those years. I took the road less traveled when I bought my tranny asked for it to handle 360fwhp because that is all I thought I would ever have, here we are 4 years later and what an easy 100hp more and it is still fine. That is a good piece of feedback, the usual "shifts awesome" feedback is meaningless but is the majority of what you get.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
...Part of what you have to understand too is people in general are IDIOTS...
I guess that pretty well sums it up. All you fellow idiots, quit posting here.
'Nuff said.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

My golen 383 ran fine, went high 11's with lloyds heads and 230-236 cam, and mid 10s on bottle before running out of gear. Had 70 psi oil pressure on startup and about 50 at cruise. One of the SRP pistons let go on a 200 shot on the street, but it was back to back to back runs against someone. Not chad's fault, but I wish I would have went with JEs. O well, turbo build
Old 11-22-2007, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure that what you are paying for is actually what you get...Verify everything with Golen, they should have records of every motor and where it went. Don't take anything for granted or you'll get taken for granted...Its always a crap shoot buying a modded car, just look everything over real good and ask lots of questions...run away fast if he can't answer them...

I have also heard that Golen is hit or miss, but have no personal experience with them...LPE built my motor almost 13 years ago...Guess who will build me another one when I decide to do something again?

--Alan
Old 11-22-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

good points
volume up attention to detail down!
Old 11-22-2007, 02:39 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey fastburn,

Regarding the multi coil setup, there's the LTCC with 8 coils and the Deltec with 4 coils.

Most folks who've done the conversion love it including me, I have the LTCC system. I wouldn't use the opti for the high voltage but you still need it to tell the PCM what to do.

It's not cheep and the performance benefits have been debated here but your reliability will be way better and you won't have the plug wires buried under everything and being burned by headers, if you have them. My car seems to run smoother since I upgraded. Plus, it’s way cool and looks neat too.

Do a search here for Deltec or LTCC and you'll find a wealth of info. If this car you’re considering buying has one of these systems, it’s a good thing.

For your Golan engine questions, I’ll say it best to have a local shop do the work, this way you’re face-to-face with the guys you’re giving your money to.

Good luck with your ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Golden ...? crate engine builder?