LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ok guys its that time, cam and lifters gotta be replaced!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ok guys its that time, cam and lifters gotta be replaced!!!!

so i need help, i had a ls1 ta with a cam in it with 600/610 lift and i loved it, but i recently got my lt1 car and i have had nothin but troubles out of my lifters. and today i finally fished the lifters off so its time to go bigger and badder!

so i need advice, whats a good cam and where do i get it, i mean as big and choppy as possible without havin major issues. so let me kno, the car already has ported heads and a built motor, and now it needs a bigger cam!!!! and with the bigger cam am i gonna need to replace my valve springs or anything the motor has comp cam beehive springs fyi.
all help is appreciated,
Old 11-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Launching!

well for lifters the best out there especially for your money is the caddy racing lifters, they are like 225 on sdpc.com. as for cam the cc306 is a decently big cam that makes good power.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

do a search for the GM 847big and choppy
Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM847 may be a good option as far as off the shelf cams go. You may want to consider custom grind also.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You told us it has a "built motor" without telling us how big, are emissions a concern, what supporting mods it has.

If you wiped out lifter I would about put money on it it was installer error be that you or the guy before you.

Do you want the car to actually be fast or just sound fast?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with Dwayne on this one, too...Sounding fast and being fast are way different things...Those who choose to buy a cam based on sound are not serious about going fast...

--Alan
Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

ok ok i want a cam thats gonna gain pretty good power and i want it choppy, emissions are not a concern for me, and yes the installer of the lifters was the guy that had the car before me, since i bought it a month ago i have done alot to get the car back to decent shape. if a choppy cam is not what i need then help me here, the car has....
Block bored +.30
Stock Crank polished
Eagle Forged 4340 I-beam rods w/ ARP rod botls
Keith Black Forged -4.8cc Flat Top Pistons
Lloyd Elliot Stage 2 ported stock castings
Comp Cams 918 beehive valvesprings
CNC-Motorsports Alum. 1.6 S/A Roller Rockers
Comp Cams Mag. 5/16" chrome moly pushrods
Comp Cams HE lifters
Bret Bauer Custom Grind Comp Cam.
Pace Setter Long tube headers and Y-pipe.

yes i want a loud mean cam but i want to gain some power so tell me what cam i should be lookin at.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blindman23
ok ok i want a cam thats gonna gain pretty good power and i want it choppy, emissions are not a concern for me, and yes the installer of the lifters was the guy that had the car before me, since i bought it a month ago i have done alot to get the car back to decent shape. if a choppy cam is not what i need then help me here, the car has....
Block bored +.30
Stock Crank polished
Comp Cams HE lifters

yes i want a loud mean cam but i want to gain some power so tell me what cam i should be lookin at.
you already have a custom grind cam? Why change it? I think the cam that is in there is probably the right choice.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blindman23
Block bored +.30
Stock Crank polished
Comp Cams HE lifters

Annnnnnnnnnnd why in the world do you wanna change that? The only reason I can think of is if the previous owner was after something different than you are (for example maybe he wanted a smaller cam like the LE1).
Old 11-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

the previous owner had a gm847 in it and replaced it with the custom grind because he was gonna spray it to death and he said the 847 was to big for him to daily drive, well im not gonna be usin the bottle and dd is not a problem for me so i want a new cam. im guessin the gm847 is gonna be a good one, any one kno how much power you might gain from that cam?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With the baby shots most guys use it should not be a consideration cam wise. Now if it were a 300 shot then yeah there are good gains to be had in specing the cam for nitrous.

I am NOT a Bauer fan, but in this case I think you need to contact him and see what the cam is, maybe the cam is big enough and you could get the nasty idle by tuning it for a lower idle and playing with the timing a bit. Some guys want a mellow idle and tuners turn up the idle speed to smooth it or like a friend who set the idle to like 950 with a LPE 211/219 because he was a street racer and was passing the engine off as bone stock, sprayed the hell out of that car worked great till he got greedy and tried a 250 single stage shot on a stock bottom and bad things happened.

A retune would be MUCH cheaper than a cam swap. Then again if the lifters took out the cam I guess you are buying anyway

Quick Reply: ok guys its that time, cam and lifters gotta be replaced!!!!