LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installed Air/Fuel Gauge and now car idles rough??

Old 11-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Air/Fuel Gauge and now car idles rough??

So I installed my air/fuel gauge today, and had alot of problems with it. I tried splicing into about every purple wire on the pcm and never got a good reading. I took it to my friends shop and some of the guys there hooked it right up to the O2 sensor. The gauge is still not reading as it should (light show) it stays on the lean end of the scale and only fluctuates slightly. The gauge is hooked up to the radio switched power wire and the radio ground. The most disconcerting part is that the car now idles at about 400 rpm, and the ses light popped on right after the install. Any ideas, im going to hook the gauge up to a constant power source and see if that makes a difference. I have to drive 300 miles tomorrow and am about to rip the ****** out of the car. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I used to have mine in the car, it was supposedly throwin off the readings and it was disconnected when it was being dyno tuned. Next time I attempt to get A/F readings, I'm going with a wideband 02.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Launching!

I just kinda wanted something to watch at stoplights, has anyone else had this problem?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

use a wideband such as the lc-1. Or get that interceptor guage, reads stock o2's in millivolts, and it just plugs right in to your obd port under the dash!. It also will monitor all other engine perameters as wel, and it will read and clear diagnostic codes. Basically it's and improved version of the scan master in a 2 1/6 guage form! http://www.aeroforcetech.com/Interce...eral_info.html

I thinks splicing into wires is risky business, especially when it's the o2 wires. The way you are trying to read your narrow band sensors will work but it's not the best way by anymeans. The stock wiring already is kind of small, especially to tap into. Maybe you caused some extra resistince in your o'2 wires from splicing into them, causing them to read incorrectly. If your just trying to read your narrowband sensors, it would of been alot easier to plug a scan tool or a scanmaster into your obd port to read them. Obviously buying a wideband kit is the best, but not necessary for stock to slightly modded cars. I recommend going back through your wiring and checak all connections, then ditch that air fuel guage and get something as stated above.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 11-24-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Launching!

^^^ to bad im obd I, that thing is freaking cool though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Air/Fuel Gauge and now car idles rough??