LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Port Heads Before or After Machine Shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port Heads Before or After Machine Shop

Just as the title says...if you are reasonably sure the heads are good do most people port, and take them to the machine shop? Or have the machine shop do their magic, bring them home and then port them?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Port first then take them to a machine shop.This takes care of any problems that might occur during porting such as nicking the valve seat.You better know what you are doing when it come to porting heads.Most people have there porter/machine shop do all the work.I will not say don't do the port work yourself because i did my own heads just research and practice before you do a good set.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Port first then take them to a machine shop.This takes care of any problems that might occur during porting such as nicking the valve seat.You better know what you are doing when it come to porting heads.Most people have there porter/machine shop do all the work.I will not say don't do the port work yourself because i did my own heads just research and practice before you do a good set.
Well...I sort of practiced on a set of junk heads 7 years ago...

I am pretty handy with a dremel, so I can't imagine a die-grinder being that much harder. I really just want to smooth out any ridges, casting lines, and maybe a little around the valve guide. No major metal removal. I might not even port match...I keep thinking that might do more harm than good if the rest of the port already outflows the entrance.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your just knocking the casting flash then i think you'll be ok.Its when people pull out the carbide tips that the real damage gets done.A dremal does not have enough torque IMO.I used a variable speed die grinder makita brand.I used a air couple times and its to messy,loud,and not enough adjustabilty.Learn to control the tool so stick to cartridge rolls and cross buffs.Then later on step up to the carbides.

Quick Reply: Port Heads Before or After Machine Shop