LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Converter Lock-up Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter Lock-up Switch

I think my converter lock-up switch or solenoid is going bad (stock stall converter, trans stock rebuilt approx 5k miles ago). When cruising on the highway in overdrive the car will suddenly drop down 2-300 rpm. The problem is that it usually will jump back and forth, which cant be good for the tranny. It also happens at 40-50 mph, ill be crusing and the car will just drop down to 1500 rpm and go no where. Letting off the gas will usually fix this, but it happens over and over again. I can even floor it and it will just sit there for 2-3 seconds before it finally downshifts and starts revvin up. Does this sound about right for a bad lock-up switch. If so where is it located on the tranny?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

I was also told this could be a problem with my TPS. Anybody know what the signs of a tps failing are?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Launching!

my car suffers the same symptoms occasionally, i've been thinking it was a bad tps, but this isn't a consistent problem. literally happens about once every month or two. lol. i'd like to know more about this problem too.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Mhmm... thats how it started with me. Then it went to once a week. And since the cam swap its an every day thang.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Bump..... Anybody know where the converter lock-up switch/solenoid is located??? And how to test it?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

So i only need a few more pieces of information to convince me that this is a lock up problem, not a tps malfunction.

Guys with shift kits (ie b&m, transgo, etc.) do you feel it when the car goes into lock up. My car feels like it goes into kind of a 5th gear. The rpms drop down a few hundred and the shift is just a little softer than the normal 2-3 or 3-4 shift. I have never experienced lock up (before and after the rebuild). Actually shortly after the rebuild is when i started experience these intermittent "problems".

I am pretty sure the problem is not tps because when it goes into lock up or whatever its doing i can still give it gas and you can hear the motor try and spin up. The problem is that the lock up stays engaged, sometimes at speeds under 45, and the lock up will disengauge and reingauge multiple times until i let off the gas.

Anybody have any other suggestions??
Old 11-29-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tcc solenoid is known to do this. pretty common problem, and i believe the solenoid is about 30 bucks. post your email and i can send you instructions, it is up in there pretty good. if you have access to an oscilloscope or a dmm that measures pwm you can check to see if it is functioning correctly.

Quick Reply: Converter Lock-up Switch