LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Christmas Ideas question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Christmas Ideas question..

alright well since Xmas is comin around soon, and my birthday is 2 days after, i think i am gonna try to get some stuff for the car
some ideas ive had so far: windows tinted, new gauges, and change up the exhaust a little...
for the exhaust though... i am wondering if my car will be raspy like it already is if i change the pipe that is 2.5'' between the cat and muffler to 3'' and remove the cat, and at the same time change the muffler that is 2.5'' and 2.5'' out to 3 in 3 out... or to do the same thing and keep the cat, but buy one of my friends's off his GTO that has like 15k miles on it.... cuz i know for a fact that i am needing a new cat... this one has 145k on it and is def. about to choke my car to death
Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

My birthday is on the 24th, I'm asking for some richmond gears and lower control arms!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm, i have the 2.5" in the back too. You could do like me and loose the cat and go 3" back to a cut-out. Personally i would try for some LT's if i were you.

I gotta decide between a paint job, stereo system, or a tune for my newly installed 503....
Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

HERE's SOME IDEAS REAL QUICK...

*Are you worried about emissions at all? If not, ditch your secondary air and EGR stuff (if you haven't already) and get the non-emissions style long tubes and ORY to bolt up to your current setup (but ditch the cat in this case). Thats about a hefty present all-together depending on what stuff you get and if you gotta figure in installation (welded or clamped, exhaust shop or DIY) costs.

*Another way to go could be suspension. UMI, SPOHN, BMR...All have some good stuff even packages. look at Lower control arms & relocation brackets, panhard bar, torque arm.... those are all DIY installs too.

*Could go the stereo route and pop in a custom fit or stealth sub box in the rear along with an amp and new head unit.

*hows your interior looking? could ask for new headliner if yours is get'n shitty like mine. hows that dash looking? Got cracks in it? could get a new one or a dash mat to hide it.

*you sig doesn't mention any big mods so, I'm assuming its close to stock. Still might benifit a bit from a mail order or dyno tune... maybe ask for some tuning software so you can start getting into that (assuming you aren't already)
Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i have someone around here that said they would tune my car with a laptop for about 75, so i planned on doing that...
i also thought about going with long tubes... but i would have to go the cheap route on all of that because my xmas budget is about 400... and my b-day is the 27th, but i usually get about 50 for that...
i have a sub and new head unit, and im not too worried about changin any of that right this moment
dont have a problem with emissions where im from so dont have to worry about that too much either

chevelle did you ever change to the 3'' catback minus the cat before the cam and RR's and all that good stuff? and if so, how did it sound?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

When i bought the car it was stock manifolds -> stock y -> cat delete -> 2.5" flowmaster single in dual out. When i went with pacesetter LT headers i had a custom 3" y pipe built. It bothered me to go from headers to 3" y pipe, to 2.75 stock pipe, back to a 2.5". So i added some more 3" pipe and put the cut-out pointed right infront of the passenger rear wheel. I drive around with the cut out all the time cuz i like the sound of it so much. But when you want that smooth ride all you have to do is throw on a few butterfly nuts (or throw a switch if you can afford an electric one) and its back to the way it was. Sounds even better with the cam in it.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

My Christmas to me will be suspension parts, hopefully!

Quick Reply: Christmas Ideas question..