LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Winter Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Winter Storage?

what do u guys do to ur cars when u store them? do u change the oil to have brand new oil in the car? do u remove battery? any other tricks?

my car will be stored in a garage... no heat.. on busted cement (if that matters)

i was gonna change the oil with some mobil 1 and fill the tank with some nice 93 octane.... anything else i should do?

tony
Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I leave the oil in mine, I change it so often it's not that old anyway. I don't remove the battery but I do start the car every couple of weeks and let it get to normal running temp. Also don't let the tires go flat, that might just be a prolbem I have cause I've got s#!* valve stems. In the spring I'll change the oil before driving it. Fuel stabalizer couldn't hurt, and I've pondered getting a battery tender (they look kina cool) but Missouri winters aren't that long.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the car on wood blocks so the tires don't have to sit on cold cement all winter. Starting the car and letting it run every couple of weeks isn't the greatest idea because letting it warm up in the cool weather creates condensation which promotes rust. You are best off putting in 1/2 tank of fuel possibly some fuel stabilizer pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. And then forget about it until the spring when its time to pull it out.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never stored it, its my only car so i drive all year. when it snows i just put chains on it. it seems to run stronger everything spring.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=z28_theantirice;8228568] Starting the car and letting it run every couple of weeks isn't the greatest idea because letting it warm up in the cool weather creates condensation which promotes rust.

Good point!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

so dont even start it? just leave it alone? pull the battery and fill the tank only halfway full? what about change the oil?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been storing my "summer cars" since the mid-late '70s, here's what I do.... Put fuel stabilizer in tank, pump tires up to 45-50 lbs. of air pressure, some cut up carpet squares under tires, light weight oil in engine. Put battery charger on car every 10-12 days for 10-15 minutes, and start car and bring up to temp every 2-3 weeks.

Yes, I know people disagree about starting the car, but my personal preference is to circulate the oil around the enging, keeping the gaskets and seals moist, and not keeping the valves/valve springs in any one position for too long.

Just my $0.02 worth.....

One other thing I've also done, since I usually put a set of custom wheels on my cars...Keep an old, but matched set of tires, and mount them on the OE wheels. Put them on the car for storage and/or alignment machine use. Keep good tires in basement during winter.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

The worst things that I worry about is the quality and age of the coolant in the car, thats the most important things.

YOu can get a battery tender which is a small trickle charger that works really well.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=leadfoot4;8234023]
Yes, I know people disagree about starting the car, but my personal preference is to circulate the oil around the engine, keeping the gaskets and seals moist, and not keeping the valves/valve springs in any one position for too long.

This is a good point, this is why GM would allow the ac to turn on with the heater or defroster to circulated the oil in the compressor to prevent the seals from drying up. Also you do not want to only have half a tank of fuel, the open area will cause condensation build up, this is why Fuel Storage tanks have a floating top to help prevent vapor loss and help reduce condensation from this. Depending on how much time the car will sit, I would also add some fuel stabilizer...

Quick Reply: Winter Storage?