LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starter problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter problems!!!

hey guys...im having some issues with my starter...when i go to start the car the starter drags and then finally starts...and then sometimes i go to start it and it just cliks...and i turn the key about 5 times and then it finally starts. I have a new optima yellow top, so i know its not the battery. Its a remanufactured starter from autozone, and its still under warrenty...what do you guys think? If i do need another starter what do you guys recomend...well thanks alot guys!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though you got a new battery something could be draining it. This happened to me I bought a new battery and within a couple days it was drained. I'm not saying this is the problem but I'd check before going and buying a starter.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

i have checked everything that i can think of...alternator..battery connections...lights being left on..everythings okay...its the only other thing i think it could be.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

anyone?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you don't have a battery issue, then check your grounds also. if the ground is weak it can cause starter issues. if the grounds are clean and not broken, then i would look at a lt4 starter (i think thats what i bought) call advance auto parts and ask if they carry a lt4 starter. if not, I'll go under the car and get the part number for ya. i broke 2 starters before I found a write up about the stronger starter. so far after 4 months or so, i haven't had any issues with it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
if you don't have a battery issue, then check your grounds also. if the ground is weak it can cause starter issues. if the grounds are clean and not broken, then i would look at a lt4 starter (i think thats what i bought) call advance auto parts and ask if they carry a lt4 starter. if not, I'll go under the car and get the part number for ya. i broke 2 starters before I found a write up about the stronger starter. so far after 4 months or so, i haven't had any issues with it.
okay..thanks...well i dont have a advance auto here...but i do have o'rielly and autozone..
Old 12-04-2007, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

I left the nut on the ground wire of the starter like a quarter turn too loose and it did the same thing. check grounds

Quick Reply: starter problems!!!