LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help with full lengths

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with full lengths

I'm new to the forum and ive done reading and searching but i still have a concern with full length headers

Apparently my exhaust manifold cracked so i ordered pacesetter full lengths and 2 40 series flowmasters with 3 inch inlet

One exhaust place wouldnt even touch it because they said they wont guarantee the work because they would sit to low and wouldnt make it off the lot without scraping off

Another place told me they wanted 1000 dollars cash under the table cause it deletes the cat and its illegal

My question is where can i get this done that it wouldnt be a grand and i dont have the know how to do so myself.

the headers are painted and they said id need heat wrap, a copper gasket instead of one it came with, and locking bolts....

any help would be great thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea its gunna cost alot cause the headers on a lt1 are a pain in the ***, i have a guy doing mine with a tune up for 700, cause he has a lift and i dont have the time. nomatter where ya do its gunna be pricey
Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

they're not anymore difficult than any other car
patience is key, can do in an afternoon on ramps
Old 12-10-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Agreed ^, Just pull the steering shaft off and at the most you may need to unbolt the motor mounts, although on my friends they slid right in.... The hardest part was taking off the old exhaust on your back in the driveway in the freezing cold Man the things you'll do to go fast huh! The passenger side was a little harder b/c of the A/c and stuff in the way...but not too bad.The drivers side slid right up in there with the steering shaft out of the way. Just remeber to lock the steering wheel in place so you don't mess up the air bag setup in the steering column....Good luck if you decide to do it. If not expect to pay at least 500.00. James
Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PITA, but doable. It was my first mod on any car ever. Get someone with some know-how, and pitch them a few extra bucks for their time. With the money you saved, get an ORY and a decent catback ;-).
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

yea there hard but doable, On the 93-94 cars how is is illegal b/c there is just one cat in the back which you can put back after the instal or put an aftermarket cat on there
Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
yea there hard but doable, On the 93-94 cars how is is illegal b/c there is just one cat in the back which you can put back after the instal or put an aftermarket cat on there
cat would be right where the collector ends, and dont forget you had both bank's exhaust streams going through 1 cat because the Y pipe merged into the cat. on LTs only 1 side would get filtered.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kels903
I'm new to the forum and ive done reading and searching but i still have a concern with full length headers

Apparently my exhaust manifold cracked so i ordered pacesetter full lengths and 2 40 series flowmasters with 3 inch inlet

One exhaust place wouldnt even touch it because they said they wont guarantee the work because they would sit to low and wouldnt make it off the lot without scraping off

Another place told me they wanted 1000 dollars cash under the table cause it deletes the cat and its illegal

My question is where can i get this done that it wouldnt be a grand and i dont have the know how to do so myself.

the headers are painted and they said id need heat wrap, a copper gasket instead of one it came with, and locking bolts....

any help would be great thanks

How about you post your location in your profile. Can't make specific suggestions if you're 1500 miles from my local shop. They would do the install for about 500 bucks, but you'd be on you own for emissions if you asked them to install with an off road Y pipe (ORY)

LTs do hang kinda low; I don't like them on cars lowered more than an inch.

Catted Y-pipe is a solution, but it ain't cheap. By definition, long tubes are illegal in most states with emissions checks simply because they move the cats, an automatic fail by definition. However, even where there is a visual, if something looking like cats is there somewhere, most times you'll get by the visual part. They WILL fail a sniffer test on any OBD1 car if the cats are deleted.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
cat would be right where the collector ends, and dont forget you had both bank's exhaust streams going through 1 cat because the Y pipe merged into the cat. on LTs only 1 side would get filtered.
So why couldnt he put a cat between th y pipe and the cat back?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
So why couldnt he put a cat between th y pipe and the cat back?
it needs to get hot enough to function properly. i think its 600*F.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

1000 dollars? HOLY **** im glad i did them myself,thats insane.

Quick Reply: help with full lengths