LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

REALLY Silly stock cam question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default REALLY Silly stock cam question...

Well, we're going through a TBI motor, and I remember reading a good upgrade for them was running an LT1 cam. Problem is, it doesn't have roller lifters. It has all the holes and what not FOR it, but just a normal hydraulic lifters.

So the question is: Do you have to run roller lifters on an LT1 cam?

Yes, I really asked it :\

Otherwise, does anyone know the cam specs for like a 96 Vortec 5.7? I found an LT1 cam for $20, and we can get a Vortec short block with a spun bearing for $50. If the Vortec is a bit better cam, or whatever, then we can just stick with it. Otherwise, we'll use all the roller lifter stuff from it, on the TBI motor.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couldnt you just run link bar rollers?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot run flat tappet lifters on a roller cam, or solid lifter rollers on a roller cam, or roller lifters on a flat tappet cam. Each cam and lifter type must match up.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

as stated your only solution is to get the expensive retro-lifters
Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
as stated your only solution is to get the expensive retro-lifters
No, our only(smart) option is to use the roller setup from the Vortec motor. The TBI block is setup for roller, it just isn't a roller cam motor. I even said all that in my first post

And yes, we could buy the expensive link-bar retro fit rollers, but since $50 < $350, I think it's clear what we'll be doing

At any rate, thanks for confirming what I figured.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

You can use the LT1 stuff, too, its all the same.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fergymoto
You can use the LT1 stuff, too, its all the same.
Right, this I know. We just don't have an LT1 to get it from. The guy I found with the cam upgraded his. While it is only the B-Body cam, it's still a nice upgrade (aside from being roller) from the TBI cam.

B-Body specs are
Valve Lift (Intake):.418"
Valve Lift (Exhaust):.430"
Duration at .050" Lobe Lift (Intake):191 Deg
Duration at .050" Lobe Lift (Exhaust):196 Deg
LSA: 111

TBI Cam spec is
Valve Lift (Intake):.390"
Valve Lift (Exhaust):.410"
Duration at .050" Lobe Lift (Intake):194 Deg
Duration at .050" Lobe Lift (Exhaust):203 Deg
LSA (Intake):108 Deg
LSA (Exhaust):116 Deg

I do admit, the duration is a bit less, but I think it'll still be a fun motor. It's going in an 86 2wd S-10 Blazer
Old 12-08-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the cam they put in all the TPI motors? RV cam or something like that. Also I think the aluminum headed LT1s have a slightly bigger cam.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still have all my stock Lifters and cam outa my 95 sittin on a shelf
Old 12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
what is the cam they put in all the TPI motors? RV cam or something like that. Also I think the aluminum headed LT1s have a slightly bigger cam.
I don't quite kow what you're asking with TPI, but they had their own cam. If you're asking what they upgraded to, I'm not sure. I didn't get that far with my TPI. The aluminum heads have nothing to do with the cam, but the weight of the car. They used that style came in the B-Bodies because they were so heavy. So, with the specs being a little lower, and how it's setup, it's made for torque. Which will be nice, since the TBI cams are made for that also. While it isn't much, we also have an aftermarket chip. Just a Hypercrap or Jet, but still it's better than stock. We're also going to up the PSI for the injectors, and run a 454 TBI If that isn't enough, then we'll talk to someone for a custom chip :\

At any rate, yes, the F/Y-Body LT1 cams are bigger. Between .447-.451 intake and like .450-.460 exhaust. I could get the specs, but I'm not at home and don't have my bookmarks.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

if you do a cam swap make it worth while, lt1 stock... waste of time/ money imo. i have stock lt1 parts i'm dying to get rid of for almost nothing let me know if you do want them. good luck
Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by phirepower
if you do a cam swap make it worth while, lt1 stock... waste of time/ money imo. i have stock lt1 parts i'm dying to get rid of for almost nothing let me know if you do want them. good luck
The B-Body cam isn't really worth it, no, however you have to look at a few other variables. Stock TBI springs can't handle more than .450 lift and aftermarket cams cost more than $20. Also, this is going into an S-10 Blazer, which is much lighter than what the TBI motor cam out of (suburban) and with that, even this smaller B-Body cam will be a nice upgrade. Similarly, even if the cam was the same specs with just more lift, it wouldn't be that bad, but after pulling the stock TBI cam out and comparing it to this B-Body cam, it's clear that it'll be a nice upgrade. The duration is much better on the B-Body cam. Also, we are on a budget and time constraints. While this is a project, it's something we want to get whacked out in a few days, so we don't have the time to wait for parts to get shipped. It would've been nice to get the stuff from either of you, but being a F/Y-body cam would've made us have to spend more on springs, and waste more time with the motor than we do now. So, while this won't be a "wild" cam upgrade for this motor, it'll be mild, and that's all we are looking for. We've put stock motors together and slapped them in S-10s and have always had a blast. Last one we did was a 305 with a 327 cam and it was quite surprising.

Thanks though.

Quick Reply: REALLY Silly stock cam question...