LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bought a 94 Z28 has LT4 intake on it causing me to fail emmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought a 94 Z28 has LT4 intake on it causing me to fail emmissions?

The girl who owned this car couldnt get it through inspection really high HCs in the 1300s. Has replaced everything related to it even opti. My brother bought the car off her. Doesnt feel like messing with getting it through inspection so i bought it off of him. It has ever single bolt on you can think of, ghost flames, blah blah blah but what stood out is that it has an LT4 intake on it. I was pretty sure these didnt fit so i checked the number and it is infact an origional LT4 intake 12550631 is the number.

I and another LT1 guy am almost positive this is causing a vac leak and why the HC readings are off by so much. Is this intake worth selling? I'm an LS1 guy and have owned a couple LT1s but it was a while ago. I want to sell this intake and buy an LT1 intake. I'm 99% sure the car doesnt have heads or cam done to it. It's an M6 and i dont believe it's ever been tuned. I text her to get a list of the mods, i cant remember them. I know its a full Borla exhaust, mids, cage, 3.73s and all.

Anyway could we be right in thinking this LT4 intake is causing a huge vac leak? Also if i remove the valve covers, whats the head casting number for LT4 heads incase it does have LT4 heads on it too.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the LT4 never had EGR, which would be your problem. thats all I got for ya, good luck
Old 12-09-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

I got a list from the girl who owned it, not sure of any of the spellings she just ran it off to me on the phone.

lt4 intake
moroso cold air intake
edelbrock headers
3" cat with borla exhaust
high flow y pipe
2" lowering springs
strut bar
slp hdzel torsion differential
hotchkis trailing arm and panhardbar
hurst short shifter
3.73 moitive gears

car has ttops, 6 speed, cage is sunset organge/gold with ghost flames, VFN hood and SS spoiler. Got it for $5500.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks! I'll have to look into it.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The LT4 intake internally is the same as the later LT1 intakes but has more material above the ports that interfere with the valvecover rails if attempts are made to bolt it to LT1 heads. If that material is milled off then it is just a red LT1 intake.

Can you take a picture of how the intake mates to the heads????
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

with the headers and Y pipe, do you still have a cat on it? and if so, is it the stock cat? i dont know if delaware emissions are as strict as connecticut, but i know of someone who had to take off their headers and y pipe and put back the stock system to pass emissions. also, a few guys at different emissions places mentioned that an aftermarket cat wont pass emissions, only the stock one will. not 100% sure if this is true, but i bought a magnaflow cat and when i heard this, i just said screw it and registered my car in WV where its inspection only. dont know if this helps, just wanted to put it out there.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

It has a 3" or 3.5" high flow cat and shortie headers. I've passed inspection with longtubes before and a high flow cat that shouldnt be it i dont think. I believe the LT4 intake is causing problems. I'll try to get some pictures. Is it possible the car has the LT4 fuel rails and fuel injectors as well? What would the numbers be or how could i tell the difference?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

takes like...30min to take the intake off, less if you know what you're doing. Just take it off and look at it. have you compared the lt4 fittings to an lt1 intake?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The fuel rail I thought was the same as LT1's also would like to see pics if you have the time to post them.(edit:of the car)
Old 12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

I know it's an LT4 intake, and i dont really know what im doing lol. The main question is can an LT4 intake cause a vacuum leak on my car? The car i dont think has ever been tuned for all fo the mods. If the LT4 intake doesnt cause a vac leak then are the LT4 injectors the same as the LT1? I'm thinking maybe the previous owner bought the rail and injectors together then being slightly different and causing the car to run so rich.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

with the mods it has, ide say it could use a tune. especially if different size injectors are used. a lot of people get by with no tune on intake and exhaust bolt ons, but since your havin problems, a mail order tune is what i would try
Old 12-10-2007, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LT4 injectors are 28lbs as compared to the MAF LT1 24lbs. if those were used and not tuned for that would cause high hydrocarbons. Can you try and get a number off the injectors??
Old 12-10-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I know it's an LT4 intake, and i dont really know what im doing lol. The main question is can an LT4 intake cause a vacuum leak on my car? The car i dont think has ever been tuned for all fo the mods. If the LT4 intake doesnt cause a vac leak then are the LT4 injectors the same as the LT1? I'm thinking maybe the previous owner bought the rail and injectors together then being slightly different and causing the car to run so rich.
I do not know much about the LT-4 intake but I would say yea you can have a vac leak if a hose is not hooked up or is broke. But as far as it causing a leak just because it is on a LT-1 motor, I would doubt it. But I agree that it sounds like there is too much fuel in the motor, so if there is an EGR eather clean it or replace it, a dirty EGR will cause there to be too many HC's comming from the exaust. Putting diffrent size injectors on and not programming the computer can cause it to dump to much fuel, other than that
Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

A 3264 17095004 is what i found on the top of the injector. LT by the connector. Also i noticed that there were 4 'tabs' maybe is the word that look like that have been ground down. Like they are at say 4 corners of the intake where it makes to the valve covers it looks like they have been ground down to miss the valve covers. Im not sure i only assume because they are not painted on the side like the rest of the intake.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All those mods without a tune? Possible larger injectors, with no tune. That's your problem.

If you're so sure you have a vac leak, get a vac gauge. They are cheap to buy. Easy test, should be around 15lbs of vaccum. (not 100% on that number with this engine)
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Ran the numbers thos are stock 94 LT1 injectors so thats not the problem. I noticed that one did spin pretty easy when i was looking for numbers maybe ill put a little silicone caulk around the that injector seat. No tune that i know of. I remember on mine i had a mail order tune sent to my email account and i had my friend upload it. Who does those tunes now? I forgot who did mine it was so long ago.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why does it have a cage and no H/C or power adder? It could be as simple as a vacuum leak anywhere or a bad intake gasket too. Aren't LTX intakes known to leak?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

http://a296.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...ddff081687.jpg

Cage is painted to match the car, lowered, gfx kit, engine bay is painted same color, etc.etc. it was a show car with alot of bolt onts. It's done up really nice, not a cheap or half assed paint job. The ghost flames look awesome in the sunlight. Its just going to be my DD my fast car is the ls1 68 bird whose cage im welding directly to the subframe.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

I tried the shoe box method of pushing on the diaphram of the EGR and i cant get it to move. I can feel it move slightly towards the outside with it off and with it on just a tiny bit but it really doesnt move and the engine doesnt change sound at all when i do it. I've got pretty strong fingers so either im pressing the wrong thing or my egr valve is bad.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I doesn’t sound to me that you have a vacuum leak. The motor would run pretty bad and hunt for a stable idle speed or have a very high idle speed. As I recall, high hydrocarbons are caused by too low a combustion chamber temperature. The job of the EGR valve is to raise this temperature. Get that EGR system working well and try another inspection. If you want to make sure it’s good and hot when you go, unplug the left (driver’s side) fan. It comes on first, the other at a higher temperature. While you’re at it, are your plugs good? Poor ignition will hurt you. Also, make sure there aren’t any lurking codes that aren’t triggering the SES light.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Bought a 94 Z28 has LT4 intake on it causing me to fail emmissions?