LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Halp: Car no spark, convoluted

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halp: Car no spark, convoluted

So here is the deal. My car (1995 LT1 Trans am, 6 speed) decided to stop sparking, and I have pretty much replaced all of the ignition components and it's still not sparking. Here is the story:

First, my reverse lockout solenoid quit on me. It was raining for a few days so I just drove my Explorer and figured I'd fix it when it became dry again. We have a garage but it's full of junk.

So, when it stopped raining my friend and I went out to figure out what the deal was. Turns out the solenoid plug wasn't getting a good ground. We regrounded it to the cigarette lighter. We also installed a lockout switch, mostly for the hell of it.

While my friend and I were doing this, my boyfriend decided to see if just a fuse was blown. He opened my fuse box and noticed whoever owned the car prior to me had some incorrectly amped fuses in there. Going off the sticker on the back of the fuse box, he replaced the incorrectly amped fuses (they were all amped too low) with some correctly amped fuses.

I tried to start my car (I had not started it for a few days) and it would not start. We checked the fuel pressure and it was fine. We checked the spark but there was no spark.

We checked the fuses to see if we had blown any.
We changed the (new) fuses to different (new) fuses in case any of them were defective for some reason.

We checked the coil and the resistance readings were off, so I got a (cheap) one and changed it. Nothing. We checked the voltage from the ignition control module and it seemed to be wrong (my friend checked it so I don't know what the readings were but he's not an idiot) so I got a new ICM. Nothing. Checked the fuses again.

My friend Steve who knows more about LT1's than I do came over and checked the A and D connectors to the coil for voltage. they had none, and the (crappy) Haynes manual said this indicated the opti was bad.

So I got a new (not reman) whole GM Opti. I did the whole rigamarole with removing the intake stuff, fans, coil and ICM, air pump, water pump, etc. Stick the new opti on and put everything back together.

STILL NOTHING! Now I am getting voltage to the coil from the opti, and none of our electrical testing is giving us any clues. Everything has power and everything is grounded. we've checked the fuses about ten more times too.

Before my car died the service engine soon light was on, but since i have a 95 it is the OBDI system with OBDII plugs so no one so far has been able to get the codes for me.

Tomorrow we are going to borrow an ECU from my sister (she has a 95 TA also) and a known working coil (in case the cheap one is defective) and see if that does anything. Otherwise.. Could the opti be defective somehow? I'm getting pretty frustrated here because I spent hours changing out the dreaded evil opti and everything else that could cause the car to just not spark at all and checked the wiring and fuses about a million times and we're just stumped!

Any ideas?

Last edited by TransAmZiztur; 12-10-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd swap the Coil and IM as well. When my coil went bad the car just stopped running. I did see spark but it was very low.