LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 hard to get started

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 hard to get started

Hey, I just registered for the forums. Been looking on the boards for a few motnhs, get alot of good tips. I just bought another z28 from some dealership off the internet. I am in Germany stationed by the ARMY (autobahn ) When the car got over here I noticed that the car takes awhile to turn over.

When I go to start it I let it turn over for about 5 seconds then stop. Then when I try to turn it over the 2nd time it fires right up. It's like this all the time. I was thinking it could be the fuel pump letting the gas go back into the line from the fuel rails somehow. It feels like it needs to pump gas back into the motor before it starts.

The engine is completely stock, 162k on it :S Doesn't look likee its been rebuilt either, that will come soon.
Any ideas on my starting problem? Its got a new starter, tried injector cleaner, and a new air filter. The spark plugs look pretty bad, gotta find time to change em since they take forever on a LT1. I don't think spark plugs would have anything to do with it, since it is getting spark.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check residual fuel pressure.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you turn the key to the on position and let it sit for a few seconds so the fuel pump primes and correct pressure is obtained in the rails? If not, try that. Turn the key to on, you should hear your fuel pump come on. Wait 4-5 seconds, then turn to the start position. Does that help?

If not, check fuel pressure. Also, clean your MAF. I would definitely be changing plugs if those two check out ok.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

try priming it a few times, then cranking it. (turn the key on and off repeatedly, then start it).

see what happens
Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

its the fuel pressure regulator....they leak all the time

Quick Reply: lt1 hard to get started