LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possible blows head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible blows head gasket?

Well I was cruising down the autobahn at about 120mph steady and I noticed all this smoke was coming up from my transmission, I looked behind me and there was smoke everywhere, car lost power immediately. I pulled over and could hear a pretty loud knocking sound coming from the back of my passenger head.
Pulled the dipstick, the oil looks good, my car maintained a good temp while driving back. Oil pressure was good as well. The car will start right up but there is still the knocking and when I give it gas a bunch of white smoke comes out.
If it is a headgasket will that cause my engine to knock or do i got a busted piston to worry about also?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was making that much noise and you don't see anything in the oil, I think ya got other problems.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

White smoke does mean your burning antifreeze, but it shouldn't knock unless you spun a bearing in the bottom end as well. Which is very possible. Good Luck
Old 12-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Teching In

OK i popped the hood today and got a better look. Pulled the dipstick and there is a milkshake going on in there. Cant see and coolant in the radiator. I noticed oil coming out of the rear driver side exhaust port, as well as the back of the head. The car starts up fine and idles fine, still blowing white smoke out the back. Also got a knock. Could it be a bent valve or the coolant in the cylinder not letting the piston compress correctly thats causing the knock? I havn't been able to find any information on what causes knock if theres a blown headgasket, hope its not a busted piston or something down in my crank.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jncon
OK i popped the hood today and got a better look. Pulled the dipstick and there is a milkshake going on in there. Cant see and coolant in the radiator. I noticed oil coming out of the rear driver side exhaust port, as well as the back of the head. The car starts up fine and idles fine, still blowing white smoke out the back. Also got a knock. Could it be a bent valve or the coolant in the cylinder not letting the piston compress correctly thats causing the knock? I havn't been able to find any information on what causes knock if theres a blown headgasket, hope its not a busted piston or something down in my crank.
There's no real point in trying to further diagnos it by checking this and that. There is a "milkshake" in the oil pan, and the motor is "knocking". It needs to come out, plain and simple. You could have sunk a valve and bent it popping a hole in a piston, spun a bearing, etc. You have coolant in the oil= bad, and you have oil in the exhaust manifold=bad. Don't run the motor anymore, it's rebuild time.