LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Gremlins! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Gremlins! Need help!

I am having some serious problems that are about to put me in an asylum. Here is the deal. My 95 TA is doing some weird things. 1'st off it is running real rough, I mean sputtering, backfiring and blowing black smoke. I changed the wires, plugs, and opti. When I did this it ran fine for about 1 mile and started up again. When I changed the plugs the 1st time all of the plugs on the passenger side were fouled out and black - all of the plugs on the driver side were fine. When hooked to a scanner no codes come up except for it says that it is running lean on the passenger side - even though the plugs on that side were fouled out! I need your help! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards o2 sensor on the passenger side reading wrong and putting too much fuel on that side. I have not tried it yet because I need your opinions 1st before I dump more money into this!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by donkey mule
I am having some serious problems that are about to put me in an asylum. Here is the deal. My 95 TA is doing some weird things. 1'st off it is running real rough, I mean sputtering, backfiring and blowing black smoke. I changed the wires, plugs, and opti. When I did this it ran fine for about 1 mile and started up again. When I changed the plugs the 1st time all of the plugs on the passenger side were fouled out and black - all of the plugs on the driver side were fine. When hooked to a scanner no codes come up except for it says that it is running lean on the passenger side - even though the plugs on that side were fouled out! I need your help! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards o2 sensor on the passenger side reading wrong and putting too much fuel on that side. I have not tried it yet because I need your opinions 1st before I dump more money into this!!!
back about 60 years ago when PEPE was stock I had a leaking #1 primary slip in header (Jethot) on the drivers side, it would suck in oxygen causing that entire side to run rich and we couldn't tune it out on the PCM. I would use Muffler Cement, all kinds of **** but it would burn out in about a week or two. Not sure if you have headers or not but if they are loose, blown gasket or such it could cause a problem like you have. I'd also recommend 02 sensors, they get overlooked a lot and can cause all kinds of sputtering.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Pepe , I used Percy dead soft gaskets on my headers so I dont think they would have blown out but I will definately check.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Pepe , I used Percy dead soft gaskets on my headers so I dont think they would have blown out but I will definately check.
Probably not with those gaskets. I'd definitely check the 02s, but heres the deal, they will scan for free @AutoZone and when the 02s are bad you get a code, forget the # but everytime I scanned when mine would run rough (always ran rich) it would throw a code for whichever 02 bank, I'd replace it and was good to go. I had 02 simms after-CATs and would only replace the pre-CAT 02s.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Is the car behaving this way when it is cold as soon as it starts up, or only once it warms up?

How does it behave under WOT?

If you are going to replace O2 Sensors, you might as well replace both. And on that note, if you are replacing O2 Sensors, only purchase the AC Delco sensors. Quite a few members in the past have used Bosch O2s found at a Local DAP and have had issues with them. The Bosch O2s don't relay readings quickly enough to the PCM for the car to run well in closed loop.

I would try unplugging the O2 sensors and seeing how the car runs. It will most likely take a couple of hours of driving for it to throw a code, but if the car runs better with them unplugged, then that is your culprit.

Double check your plug wires for burns and cracks, and with the car running super rich, it wouldn't hurt to replace the plugs while you're at it.

Also try running the car at night (with the lights out) with the hood open and see if you see any sparks. Sometimes lower quality plug wires will ground on other metal objects under the hood.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
Is the car behaving this way when it is cold as soon as it starts up, or only once it warms up?

How does it behave under WOT?

If you are going to replace O2 Sensors, you might as well replace both. And on that note, if you are replacing O2 Sensors, only purchase the AC Delco sensors. Quite a few members in the past have used Bosch O2s found at a Local DAP and have had issues with them. The Bosch O2s don't relay readings quickly enough to the PCM for the car to run well in closed loop.

I would try unplugging the O2 sensors and seeing how the car runs. It will most likely take a couple of hours of driving for it to throw a code, but if the car runs better with them unplugged, then that is your culprit.

Double check your plug wires for burns and cracks, and with the car running super rich, it wouldn't hurt to replace the plugs while you're at it.

Also try running the car at night (with the lights out) with the hood open and see if you see any sparks. Sometimes lower quality plug wires will ground on other metal objects under the hood.
Thanks I will try that. If the o2 sensors, plugs, wires, or optispark is not the culprit - any other ideas?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
GREAT TIP!!! I thought that was some old-school BS when a buddy told me after I replaced an OPTI that was actually just fine...turned out to be a #5 plug wire resting on a header and burned...but sure enough at night it looked like a Blue Northern rolling into the panhandle, lightning everywhere.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -PEPE-
GREAT TIP!!! I thought that was some old-school BS when a buddy told me after I replaced an OPTI that was actually just fine...turned out to be a #5 plug wire resting on a header and burned...but sure enough at night it looked like a Blue Northern rolling into the panhandle, lightning everywhere.
Normally under differant circumstances I would laugh at that last statement but right now I pray its that simple!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Any other input from anyone?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the computer is not stuck in limp mode. TPS voltage goes from 1-100% and then resets itself to 4% that was my problem....
Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

for ***** and giggles, try and get your hands on another maf to see if that might have something to do with it...when mine went bad i thought it was bad gas for a while and just ran like crap
Old 12-15-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree on bad gas. I'd do these thee things: Fuel Filter (cheap, $10-15), O2 Sensors (Both, or all three, don't just hope for the best with 1 or 2. The post-cat is less important, so at minimum the bank ones), after those two pull the plugs and clean them since not being that old they should clean off nicely and then make sure they're gaped right. Then go get a tank of quality gas. Or at least top it off with 92/93oc.

If you're still having problems, check the IAC, TPS idle-WOT voltage (.52-.58v - 4.0-4.5v), PCV valves (cover and side of intake). With the TPS, make sure your throttle is returning back to "0" and that it's not sticking, which would cause a bad TPS reading. Lube up both sides of the shaft (with the RPS off and throttle linkage side). Last I can think of would be the coil and spark control module (that finned thing next to the coil). Do them both at the same time and while you're there, use about 3-4 washers and space the SCM (ESC Electronic Spark Control) away from the head AND USE THE WHITE PASTE THAT COMES WITH IT! That is thermal compound and helps speak the heat to that heatsink (finned part).

After all that, all that comes to mind then is a vacuum leak, a bad/wonky MAF (trade a friend or run w/o it quick, since it'll run on MAP which is no problem), or a stuck open EGR.

(Sorry if I dumbed anything down too much, trying to cover everything and any possible mistake)

GL

PS Last thing I can think of, if you have an old cat let it run/idle for about 30mins (if I can), preferable at night as well, and see if the cat gets red. If so, it's plugged and time for a new one/straight pipe.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Fuel Filter (cheap, $10-15)
Fuel filter is not going to cause sputtering or fouled plugs on only one side. I know this is cheap, but it does not apply to every situation.

O2 Sensors (Both, or all three, don't just hope for the best with 1 or 2. The post-cat is less important, so at minimum the bank ones)
There are only 2 sensors on his car (and all pre-96, except for cali 95 cars).

I would tend to agree that O2 sensors might be your issue though. Either that or an exhaust leak or some other condition only affecting that side.

One thing you can try is to unplug one of the o2 sensors, if it runs better, then that is likely the problem.

Last edited by infinitebird; 12-15-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:41 AM
10 Second Club

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago, was my O2's, I'd look into the O2's as well!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Fuel filter is not going to cause sputtering or fouled plugs on only one side. I know this is cheap, but it does not apply to every situation.
Sure it will. No, it's not bank specific, but it's pretty hard to tell what side of the car is the cause when the whole car is sputtering.

Originally Posted by infinitebird
There are only 2 sensors on his car (and all pre-96, except for cali 95 cars).
People buy cars from all over. Doesn't hurt to cover all the bases. That, and my friends 94 Vette has post cat O2.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks everyone! I will try out all the advise everyone hear is saying, I just replaced the o2 sensors and still have a problem. I guess on to the next suggestions . Formula 350 - I need things dumbed down a little at this point so explanations are much appreciated! Any other advise will be appreciated in that it will give me more things to try and resolve the issue.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Sure it will. No, it's not bank specific, but it's pretty hard to tell what side of the car is the cause when the whole car is sputtering.
Apparently you missed the part where only one side of plugs on his car were fouled, and how he had a code only for one side.

The fuel filter, as you say, is not bank specific, while his problem clearly is.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

New info that might help some one help me. The car does this at start up and seems to get slightly worse when warmed up. I dont think it is bad fuel because I filled up with a fresh tank of 93 and and the plugs were fouled only on the passenger side. I wonder if I should try to reprogram my cars computer. I also noticed that everything seemed to be fine right before I had the stall converter put in. I noticed it after I got the stall and it got real bad a couple of days after I ran a few passes at the local track. (not sure if any of this matters). Some one told me I could of burnt a valve and it could be the cause of my problems - I think that does'nt make any sense. Any thoughts on this as well?
Old 12-15-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

New info that might help some one help me. The car does this at start up and seems to get slightly worse when warmed up.
This sounds even more like o2s.

The computer not being tuned for a converter has nothing to do with fueling or fouled plugs.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help, let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: LT1 Gremlins! Need help!