LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition module

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition module

I am expierencing spark breakdown beginning @ 5500 rpm under full throttle. Car has new MSD Opti, MSD coil and MSD digital-6+. Also new plug wire and plugs. Has anyone had problems with ignition module and would the symptoms be similar to what I am having?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97 SS
I am expierencing spark breakdown beginning @ 5500 rpm under full throttle. Car has new MSD Opti, MSD coil and MSD digital-6+. Also new plug wire and plugs. Has anyone had problems with ignition module and would the symptoms be similar to what I am having?
Is it spaced away from the heads? The trick is a few washers, just to get airflow behind it. It could be heating up and causing the problem. If it's not been replaced, it wouldn't hurt to get a new one. If you haven't done one before, for the love of the F-Body God, use that white (or clear sometimes) thermal past in the plastic tube between it and the heatsink. It helps spread out the heat instead of centralize it. And "the more the merrier" doesn't apply here, you don't need much since the are bolted together. It'll just squeeze out all over the place.

Computers use them for CPUs, on their big heatsinks and our rule of thumb is "Paper Thin". Since that actually is pretty thing, even I would dab a bit more on then that

(Since this is electrical related, I tend to dumb it down a bit, please don't take offense if you already knew it. I just don't want someone overheating their new module.)
Old 12-15-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

breakup at high rpm can be anything really. It is a very common problem on lt1s.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an icm I can send to you for 20 bucks shipped if you want to give it a try

it works great

Quick Reply: Ignition module