LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 LT1 to LS1 Coil conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LT1 to LS1 Coil conversion

Im looking for a place to buy a lt1 to ls1 coil conversion kit for a 95 T/A dont feel like messing with the distributor behind the water pump anymore, any places that sell them? Ive looked but no luck
Attached Thumbnails 95 LT1 to LS1 Coil conversion-1216071201.jpg   95 LT1 to LS1 Coil conversion-1122070906.jpg  
Old 12-17-2007, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Good luck with that..lol

Not possible, need a Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor, and the Reluctor Wheel..that is how it works in the LSX.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

youre gonna need to re work the PCM completely for the ignition add a crank trigger/position sensor, get the coils, make a harness, get some crack ****** to smack when you get stressed out, and you ned ALOT of time.

LTCC would be much easier.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

yeah you can do the LTCC, but you still have to keep the signal part of the opti (you can delete the cap and rotor).
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://delteq.com/

Edit: I do not endorse or own the product mentioned in the URL above. I have limited knowledge of how well it works, longevity, and performance.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Default To all who were no help

Well i paid $125 to have my computer in my 99 T/A programed has auto tranny so my shift time is a whole hell of a lot faster, with everything else he programed it gave me 20 extra horse from a stock ls1, in that process i told him i had a 95 T/A and i wondering if i could do a coil swap like the one in my 99 he said that you can and he sure knows a **** load of info about lt's and LS's owning a 98 T/A and 94 camaro and 2002 corvette himself doing all his own work, so if you think it cant be done then you dont have to put your input of how is cant be done, IF YOU READ THE THREAD "Where do i go about finding a coil conversion kit" NOT CAN IT BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

dont get mad at them for saying any thing, their just trying to tell you a easier option, and what would need to be done, and just cause this guy thinks he can do it doesn't mean he can but who knows, maaybe you guys can come up with some thing that could help every one else out alot..
Old 12-17-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95TransAm_ToM
Well i paid $125 to have my computer in my 99 T/A programed has auto tranny so my shift time is a whole hell of a lot faster, with everything else he programed it gave me 20 extra horse from a stock ls1, in that process i told him i had a 95 T/A and i wondering if i could do a coil swap like the one in my 99 he said that you can and he sure knows a **** load of info about lt's and LS's owning a 98 T/A and 94 camaro and 2002 corvette himself doing all his own work, so if you think it cant be done then you dont have to put your input of how is cant be done, IF YOU READ THE THREAD "Where do i go about finding a coil conversion kit" NOT CAN IT BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well since this one dude is obviously more knowledgeable than the collective input of everyone on this lt1 forum, why don't you just ask him where you can find one?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

This is a great plug-n-play kit, it's worked flawlessly for me and eliminates the problem area of the Opti-spark system:

http://www.bailey-eng.com/

Just something to consider as well.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BoostedZ28
This is a great plug-n-play kit, it's worked flawlessly for me and eliminates the problem area of the Opti-spark system:

http://www.bailey-eng.com/

Just something to consider as well.
This was already mentioned above, but apparently he didn't like this option
Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Im looking for a place to buy a lt1 to ls1 coil conversion kit for a 95 T/A dont feel like messing with the distributor behind the water pump anymore, any places that sell them? Ive looked but no luck
Maybe you can't find them cause like I said..it's not possible...
There are other similar kits out there..but they are finnicky themselves..

You want to be a **** about it, that's on you..I was just stating some facts.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Staging Lane

It is possible. This is what you would need. FAST XIM and XFI boxes, MSD crank sensor, cam sensor, coils, lots of patience and time. It is expensive to do though. I just got mine up and going. Runs good so far. Its a pretty neat setup. If you want more info you can PM about it and I can give you the contact info for the guy who puts these kits together.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:58 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

94transamTOM:

The issues with the GM Optispark are that the high voltage goes through it and it’s location on the engine, under the water pump. The optical pick up is highly accurate and still used by some other makers. The LT1 engine PCM must have this particular optical pickup as it needs sensing for low and high resolution. The LTCC and DELTEC kits moves the high voltage out to coil packs. The LTCC uses LSx type coils like you mentioned. The DELTEC kit uses four shared coils. The LTCC costs more that the DELTEC. They both work well.

I’ve converted to the LTCC kit. Better plug wiring and no cap/rotor to rely on. Any performance improvements are minor but I’ll swear that my car ran smoother when I did the swap.

Here’s a link to my install:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/651634-ltcc.html

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Launching!

Seriously, if the guy says it can be done, get that informtation from him, prove it yourself on your own vehicle, documenting the whole way. Then share it with us here, and you'll become a hero on the board.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

I wasn't trying to be an ******* about it..but I was trying to state the main facts about it from what I know..if there is a kit out there, then they did some work to do it.

I did mine the easy way..
Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SCTA
It is possible. This is what you would need. FAST XIM and XFI boxes, MSD crank sensor, cam sensor, coils, lots of patience and time. It is expensive to do though. I just got mine up and going. Runs good so far. Its a pretty neat setup. If you want more info you can PM about it and I can give you the contact info for the guy who puts these kits together.
Similarly to SCTA, I run my LT-1 using a BigStuff-3 LSx based system. I use a 24x crank trigger and a GM cam sensor installed in the conventional 1st gen s.b. distributor location. Obviously, I also use 8 LSx coils, but I didn't opt for this system just to eliminate the LT-1 Opti-spark, I chose this system due to my forced induction tuning needs. In my situation there wasn't much difference in cost for the BS-3 LSx system vs. the BS-3 LT-1 system, but it would be hard to justify spending the money on an aftermarket PCM just to do away with the Opti.

Paul Bell stated the well known facts about the LT-1 Opti-spark system and people who have choosen the LTCC or Delteq system have had great success. Everyone who responded to your initial question was trying to tell you that there is no known "conversion kit". If your tuner has a way of converting an LT-1 ignition system to an LSx based system, then he should be able to provide you with the "kit". If he knows something that the rest of us don't, then either he should post the information here or you should have the conversion done and you post the information here. Either of you would be heros!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Ok, I wasn't planing on registering, but since there are idiots here that think they know what they are talking about, I had to get registerd.

Like it was said above, http://www.bailey-eng.com/ is a piggy back so you can run the LS coils. Yes it does work I know people with them and it works perfect. Also, Delteq is another company that you can use, but insted of the ls coils it uses the northstar coil pack, which I use personaly, also no problem with it. Yes, you do need your distributor for your cam sensor, but its a whole lot more reliable, especially for them high rpm's. I have seen both on stock cars, and highly modified (like my car).

I agree, If you don't have something constructive to say, only dumb comments, don't say anything at all.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

wow, that was alittle harsh, its not something most people do considering to do it, it costs thousands of dollars to do these swaps.. and the opti isnt that bad.. it just depends on how you treat it. my first one went for 102K miles and then the MSD opti was still working perfectly when i parked it at around 20K miles...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I'm not saying that the opti is bad, because myine went for over 105k. Then i went through a bad t-storm and the way I had my air filter water went in the opti and burned it. Thats why I changed it over, you have spark with water = boom. No, it does not cost thousands to do the swaps. I did mine for 450.00 (delteq). I can not remember about the ls coil convertion, but that can cost you about 650.00- 750.00. If you buy the coils used from a wrecked car even cheaper.
Yes, it is possible and for under 1k.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

I have used the LTCC flawlessly for 1.5 years, I recommend it.

Quick Reply: 95 LT1 to LS1 Coil conversion