LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stumble below 2500 RPM, backfires, failing emmisisons

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stumble below 2500 RPM, backfires, failing emmisisons

I just bought this car and knew it had failed emmissions. I found the EGR to be completely locked up and took it through again today. It failed at about 1600hc 1.6CO and 11.1CO2. This is what it was before i even replaced the EGR. I didnt unplug the battery to reset the ECU or anything though. The car has cats, no internal engine mods, new O2s, Opti is relativly new, shortie headers, taylor wires, plugs are a year old. No wires are burnt.

The only thing i can think of is the MAF is dirty. I took it off and it looked like it had a little build up some im going to spray it down and see if it helps any. Also leaving the battery unhooked for about an hour.

They problem is if you're in gear (6spd) doesnt matter the gear but anywhere from 1000rpm-2500rpm it will stumble really bad and sometimes you can hear it backfire. Its from about 1/3 throttle to full throttle it happens. Anywhere above 2500rpm and this car pulls so insanely hard.

Any idea what it might be?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cleaned the MAF and IAT, put some dielectric grease on the opti coil wire boot and took it back thru and it PASSED! It read 217hc at idle and 71 at 2500rpm! The stumble isnt as noticeable and only comes at half throttle nad up. I have been getting on it and i noticed its all around the powerband intermittantly. I also found the upper radiator hose leaking down on the the opti and fixed that. It seems to be driving better and better so I'm hoping the opti problems will work out as it was recently replaced. It is the updated vented opti i do know.

Quick Reply: Stumble below 2500 RPM, backfires, failing emmisisons