LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting to get very disapointed with my car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to get very disapointed with my car.

Mods are in sig, i just did the OTVC on the camaro because my old wires were shot! Well ever since i installed the hotcam, i have noticed at idle ( around 600 rpm (after the car was warm)) the oil pressure drops to the point directly above the red area or will actually fall into the red area causing my "Check Guages" light to come one, ofcourse whenever i drive the car over 1000RPM the light goes off and all is normal.

The car runs like a scalded ape, but i CANNOT STAND THE LOW OIL PRESSURE!!!! SO, my dad has suggested i move to a very heavy weight, also possibly adding some lucas oil to thickin things up. Is this the cam doing this?

Secondly, whenever i am at a dead stop and am taking off normally or aggressively the car bogs, why is this? am i just not used to the car after not driving it for 5 months? Or is this just wrong? Cause i'm wondering whether or not i could leave fast enough off the tree since i have this bogging issue.

Lastly, why would i be hearing a loud clunking noise coming from my transmission or engine bay after installing a cam? ( cant locate the noise specifically because it only occurs while rolling around in 1st gear, such as a parking lot situation)

P.S: The belt is causing that annoying noise even though its been replaced twice. Any sugggestions on getting rid of the noise cause its driving me insane

All in all i have over 3000 into the car and im throughly unhappy, i drive my dads stock 30th SS and get a lot more satisfaction that i do with my "hotrod" maybe i should just return the main things back to stock? I am regretting ever buying/touching this car. Nothing but bad things have happend to me finacially because of it.

Please change my mind my fellow LT1 buddies!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

You could try raising the idle if the low oil pressure goes away above 1000.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

600 rpm is a tad low for idle. i would try bumping ur idle up. ur belt squeaking could be your belt (idle) tensioner. mine is bad and squeaks like a ****. lastly, cars can make us feel down when things aren't going are ways but just think of how happy you will feel when u get all the bugs worked out
Old 12-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Launching!

my car did this and my oil sending unit was bad and the problem went away when i replaced the sending unit
Old 12-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first it needs to idle at least 800rpm...next you need to get a good mail order tune if you havent...which will fix number 1...
third you need to replace your oil sending unit and make sure your low oil pressures actually exist....after that go from there with the info you attained doing those things

btw im around the corner...you can bring it to my work or you could call me and i can meet with you and look over the car and see what you need to get fixed...pm me if you want

also ive got a great setup im sure youd be happy with in my daily, its too late now but we can make your car run good
Old 12-20-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run 650-750rpms :\ Then again I'm just stock.

If you don't have a way to tune it, just screw the torqx bit out some in the back of the TB to raise the RPM till you get it tuned.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

my idle is 1k and im a bolt on car thats stock and tuned
Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I idle at 700RPM's with a cam and have never had oil pressure woes.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
If you don't have a way to tune it, just screw the torqx bit out some in the back of the TB to raise the RPM till you get it tuned.
That's a bad idea. It won't have any effect because the IAC motor will just compensate to restore the pcm programmed idle, unless you max it out in which case you will probably screw up your TPS reading in the process.

There is no way to correctly adjust the idle rpm other than with tuning.

The TB screw is not an idle screw, it is just a stop screw that prevents the blades from contacting the edge.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chameleongreen97ta
my car did this and my oil sending unit was bad and the problem went away when i replaced the sending unit
Same here

to the OP this is worth the $20 shot, our 96's are comming up on 12 yrs old anyways cant hurt
Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

I have a hotcam and my idle is at 950.....you should get a dyno tune not mail order. When my car was tuned on a dyno it took about three hours of tuning to get all the bugs out of the car. I think the tuning paid off, my car put down 372 RWHP shifting at 6k because of some old springs that I replace soon after the dyno runs. Good luck with your car.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would also put a mechanical gauge on just to make sure you get a accurate reading. Also when you start modding you will always have problems it never fails.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with replacing the oil pressure sending unit.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Launching!

I agree with the oil pressure switch replacement, as old as it is there is a good chance it is just bad, at least that is where I would start on that problem, your noise from engine bay in 1st gear, if you honestly believe it is belt, or belt related, remove the belt, drive it straight in a parking lot in first gear (straight so you don't stress the rack from no power steering pressure) see if it goes away, or if it is still there, that is a quick way to either prove, or eliminate that problem. Bogging off the line however could be a few things, one I almost bet with the hot cam you installed the 1.6:1 rockers, i am curious if you put the lt4 knock module in, if you did not the stock lt1 knock module will screw the timing up to save the engine (yes at idle) and this could be a cause of the bog, just a few suggestions to start off with, try these things and let us know what you get from there.. Hope this helps..
Old 12-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Teching In

lol.....
Old 12-20-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Don't give up on that LT4

Mine does the same thing

Problem 1 you should just idle it up if that does not fix it replace oil sending unit. When it is cold outside I increase the idle when its warm I decrease the idle. Have no idea why my motor likes me to do this it is a temperature *****.I have the same exact mods as you do pretty much except I gotta a 58mm ASAM throttle body , but I am running on a stock shorblock Also as for the bogging if this helps any about 6 years ago mine was bogging and felt like it was loading up when at idle. I Could not figure out why changed plugs wires everything. It ended up being an exhaust leak. No ****

Last edited by phantomLT1; 12-20-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

the oil sending unit is new, and madz28 did tune it and i requested a 600 rpm tune beacuse i was afraid i wouldnt hear a lope. So, he sent me a tune with 800 RPM idle. However, my buddy whom first tuned my car is no longer available for mje to ask to retune it. Im not gonna buy a cable and program. I would just rather find someone who can upload my tune into the PCM. I too think this would fix a lot of my problems, but is having 10-15 psi at idle an okay thing? im just used to having my PSI around 40. i really wanna fix that squeak, i was thinking the tensoner too, but im still not sure. not in town for too long, the car will most likely just sit for the rest of the semester till i can mess with it.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

i wish i had your pressure mine is 3-6 psi hot idle using 10w40 with a replaced sending unit waste of 40$ also our tack is off. mine say's 1000rpm but it is really 875ish on the scanner
Old 12-20-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
Mine does the same thing

Problem 1 you should just idle it up if that does not fix it replace oil sending unit. When it is cold outside I increase the idle when its warm I decrease the idle. Have no idea why my motor likes me to do this it is a temperature *****.I have the same exact mods as you do pretty much except I gotta a 58mm ASAM throttle body , but I am running on a stock shorblock Also as for the bogging if this helps any about 6 years ago mine was bogging and felt like it was loading up when at idle. I Could not figure out why changed plugs wires everything. It ended up being an exhaust leak. No ****
off subject, but thats a sexy *** bird ya got there buddy
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chameleongreen97ta
same for me...ended up with a bad sending unit.

Quick Reply: Starting to get very disapointed with my car.