LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Temp Fluctuation

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Temp Fluctuation

Just noticed today that the temperature was higher while driving on the freeway (75-80) that while driving in stop-and-go traffic (both below the half-way mark). Then while driving in stop-and-go traffic the temperature got to the half-way mark, actually went a bit above it, then I as I was parking it by the house, it suddenly dropped below that half-way point. The car was driving fine, had plenty of power. I'm thinking maybe a stuck thermostat because the heater, while not working, worked intermittently while driving on the freeway, but then it also worked better while stopped at a light, then started blowing cool again when I started driving. Cooling problems are driving me nuts, I have a new radiator (3 months), new water pump (2 months), and fresh coolant. The low coolant sensor has been on for about 6 months, but the level is fine. Any inside information is greatly appreciated. BTW, someone mentioned that changing the thermostat on LT1's is PITA, can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

94 Z28 M6
Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coolant might be low thats usually when ur heater doesnt work... so check again.. coolant lights on 99% of Lt1's are bad
Old 12-23-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only "pain" I see in changing the T-Stat is the very likely possibility of spilling all over your Opti. So it'd be wise to drain it first.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if the temp suddenly drops I would think either you had an air pocket or the fans just kicked on. the thermostat isnt hard to change at all. its been awhile since i looked at my engine together but i think you just remove the intake elbow and its right below it
Old 12-24-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

When this happened to me, adding coolant fixed my problem.

Quick Reply: Temp Fluctuation