LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake Manifold Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Install Question

Today I installed my intake which I have done before. When I put my gaskets on I put the paper gaskets on and when I went to silicone the front and rear of the manifold the silicone was runny. Well after I installed it I looked at the tube of the silicone and it was'nt silicone, it was just black rubber sealant. My question is will it be okay or will it start to leak after awhile. I have driven the car twice today after the install and it seems to be fine. It pulls strong and runs good and smooth. I also used a stethoscope with a piece of brake line to listen for leaks and heard nothing. I put my hand back there and felt nothing leaking. All tests were done with the engine running obviosly. Any help would be great.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

you should be fine. if you do get a leak, you will most likely know it.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well Thanks man.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

your welcome. merry christmas
Old 12-25-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

merry christmas to you too
Old 12-25-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend puts a HUGE bead of silicone on first (he uses his own compressed tubed, not what comes with) and then places on the intake gaskets, and drops on the manifold. He's done TTTTTTTTONS of intakes and this is what he found to be probably 98% leak proof. After the manifold is on, you'll obviously get a ton of excess squeeze out. He then just runs his finger across the intake and block and wipes it off

If you placed enough on, you should be OK.

And yes, Merry Christmas, and GL
Old 12-25-2007, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^What about all the stuff that goes inside?

A big *** bead of RTV is not necessary. What will fit is what will fit. The rest is wasted.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fergymoto
^What about all the stuff that goes inside?

A big *** bead of RTV is not necessary. What will fit is what will fit. The rest is wasted.
So, what about what goes inside? It'll get hard and stay there. It's silicone (very flexible), not charcoal And it's in the front and back, it'll drop down into the oil pan IF it ever does just fall off for some odd reason. And then, when you drain the oil it'll come out.

If he feels wasting some is what keeps something sealed, I understand that. He's been working on cars for many years, I trust his work.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I usually use a lot in the corners and a lil bit all the way accross. But this time I accidentally used regular black rubber sealant. It wasnt RTV silicone. Thats what had me worried but it has been fine so far.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't ever use the Bathtub gaskets. I just use a nice bead of "Right stuff" gasket sealent from about 1/2 inch up the head across the block and 1/2 inch up the other head. a nice bead nothing excessive and I have yet to redo one for a leak.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what about what goes inside? It'll get hard and stay there. It's silicone (very flexible), not charcoal And it's in the front and back, it'll drop down into the oil pan IF it ever does just fall off for some odd reason. And then, when you drain the oil it'll come out.

If he feels wasting some is what keeps something sealed, I understand that. He's been working on cars for many years, I trust his work.
It's won't get hard. RTV does not get hard. It is soft, and what hangs on the inside of the block often times gets loose from being heated and soaked with oil constantly. If you get enough of it loose and have it fall off it can plug up your oil pump screen, if it manages to get into your oil galleys it can cause restrictions in them, etc. Take off a few intake manifolds where too much has been used, you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

I use a moderate amount of either "The Right Stuff" Or Ultra Copper. I also use Printo Seal Gaskets, and blue Loctite on the manifold bolts
Old 12-25-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Formula350;8365587]So, what about what goes inside? It'll get hard and stay there. It's silicone (very flexible), not charcoal And it's in the front and back, it'll drop down into the oil pan IF it ever does just fall off for some odd reason. And then, when you drain the oil it'll come out.

The rtv that gets caught in the motor can get clogged in the oil passages and can take out bearings....and will most likely not come out the oil drain....so don't be too sloppy with it.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
The rtv that gets caught in the motor can get clogged in the oil passages and can take out bearings....and will most likely not come out the oil drain....so don't be too sloppy with it.
Oil drain galleys are pretty big from what I remember, and they'd have to be pretty small to get sucked through the oil pump screen. I've also never heard of a motor going due to RTV/Silicone over use (being sucked up of any sort).....so don't be too worried with it.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula350
Oil drain galleys are pretty big from what I remember, and they'd have to be pretty small to get sucked through the oil pump screen. I've also never heard of a motor going due to RTV/Silicone over use (being sucked up of any sort).....so don't be too worried with it.
Well I have cause it has happen to me.....and my engine builder has seen it several times before too....so now what they do is out little screens in thoughs oil port in the lifter valley, and in the heads just incase a rocker arm goes out and the metal goes flying around......if you get rtv in the pan it can get cut up in little pieces that how it move through the system......formula50 also read post #11 and learn something..
Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have cause it has happen to me.....and my engine builder has seen it several times before too....so now what they do is out little screens in thoughs oil port in the lifter valley, and in the heads just incase a rocker arm goes out and the metal goes flying around......if you get rtv in the pan it can get cut up in little pieces that how it move through the system......formula50 also read post #11 and learn something..
Okay I guess what I am asking is not whether or not RTV silicone will ruin my motor if it gets inside. What I am asking is if anyone knows anything about regular black rubber sealant. Bc what i used on the back was not RTV it was this runny looking black rubber sealant. I thought that it was RTV but after I already put it all back together I realized what I had done. I guess I should just take my manifold back off and look and see if any of that rubber sealant ran down in the valley.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I read every post. I don't skip around threads.

I can't see how RTV in the pan can get cut up. Crank weights aren't razor blades, and they don't smash against the pan to act as a motor and pestle.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Install Question