LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

afr heads

Old 12-25-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default afr heads

i am fixing to buy the afr 210cc heads is it worth spending the extra 575 to get the competition ones
Old 12-25-2007, 10:28 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am not a fan of AFR customer service, but a CNC port job is the way to go all day long. spend the money whoever you go with.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Call Tony Mamo @ AFR...

Is 10-15 CFM worth $600? Depends on if this is a Max Effort or just a fast street build.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

In my opinion .. do it once do it right .. Heads are where the power is made .. I'd hate for you to get beat by Half a car length and know you could have done more but cheaped out
Old 12-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Banned

go all out, because sooner or later you will want to do that anyway, and it will cost you more later,,gaskets,time etc..
Old 12-26-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

If you really want to do it right, get a set of as cast ones, and have them ported by lloyd elliot.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
If you really want to do it right, get a set of as cast ones, and have them ported by lloyd elliot.
Thats nice of you to say, and I have a set of LT1 heads ported by Lloyd, and love them. But to say Lloyd is the man when it comes to every kind of head out there, is a very questionable statement.
No offense Lloyd.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
But to say Lloyd is the man when it comes to every kind of head out there, is a very questionable statement.
True but I didn't say that.

Maybe I should have been more clear, what I was getting at was just that a few people have made more with custom port work on the AFRs vs their standard port.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
True but I didn't say that.

Maybe I should have been more clear, what I was getting at was just that a few people have made more with custom port work on the AFRs vs their standard port.
Well now, you have me confused. I'll just part from this thread since I don't know what your stating and or your experience on this subject.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a look at how many shops out there DO NOT OFFER CNC porting on the new AFR Eliminator line. Ask yourself why. I distinctly remember a very highly regarded shop that used to offer their own port work an AFR's, but not since the Eliminators came out. Very hard to improve upon the work you'll get out of the box from AFR. For the record, all of AFR's heads are fully cnc'd, the competition model simply has finer detail done to it.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a stock set of heads on my car now done by port pros stage 2.but my ole lady gonna buy me some new ones and mine are going on her car.just wanted to no if it would be worth spending the 600 bucks extra for the competition ones
Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

I went with the comp port on my 210`s but I have the old style ones.
I kinda wish I had picked up a used set of the 215rr ones but in all I am happy with the performance of the 210`s
Old 12-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mario89
go all out, because sooner or later you will want to do that anyway, and it will cost you more later,,gaskets,time etc..
Thats exactly right....or at least the way I feel when it comes to engine building. By the best head you can afford....period.

That said I must also tell you the street porting is 100% CNC'ed and offers tremendous value. Alot of power for reasonable out of pocket expense. The Comp porting offers a little more power but you pay for it as it takes alot longer for us to CNC port them with their finer levels. This leaves a nicer finish and a more accurate reproduction of the prototype port it was copied from hence a little more flow and a little more power. The Comp ported stuff looks so good you will want to display it before bolting it on your engine.

Also, the Eliminator line is completely new and any refences made to our older product is null and void. I would put a new out of the box AFR Eliminator head up against ANY 23' head out there of similar volume (195 cc's, 210 cc's, etc.). I personally spent close to a year redesigning our new 23' line and it kicks ***. I wasn't involved in their first design which dates back to the early/mid 90's and still held its own prior to the release of our new Eliminator program. Ask anyone who has used or seen one of our new heads if you think Im BS'ing. Not to mention all the lightweight valvetrain components that come with our new package. Eight millimeter bead lock valves with premium dual small diameter lightweight springs....all of this adds up to alot more valvecontrol and more high RPM power as the direct benefit of that scenario.

Customer service....I think we have the best in the business and its better than ever lately. If you had an issue in the past I would love to discuss it with you.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of more assistance or call me next week when we return to the office on the 2nd.

Happy Holidays....

Tony Mamo
AFR R&D / Product Design Mgr.
(661)257-8124 Ext. 109

PS....For you guys that need to get up to speed on the new Eliminator stuff check a few of these links for more info or grab the latest Chevy High Magazine (Feb issue out now) for an in depth look at whats involved in producing a great cylinder head and some of the challenges involved in doing so.

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article113/A-P1.htm

http://www.airflowresearch.com/eliminator.php

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 12-26-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion the extra $$$ is worth it to me!! As Tony said, if you could display a set of these heads on your coffee table you would, just so you could show them off. I'm sold on AFR's performance and quality of work!! Thanks to AFR on their continued R&D of the various lines of cylinder heads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: afr heads