LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Powersteering, Alternator relocation

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powersteering, Alternator relocation

I need your help guys. I've seen people with this done before posted on this site. The alternator is going to be a piece of cake. I want to relocate the power steering pump down low as well. This will eliminate the stock bracket, A/C system, air pump, and clean up the engine bay really well.

Above is a picture of what I'd like to do. I plan on using the stock alternator, but I'm not worried about having to make a different style power steering pump work. I found a bracket the Zoops makes. However It doesn't seem to extend far enough out for a separate pulley.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5

Above is a picture of the Zoops pulley. So if anyone knows of a way to get this to work on my car it would be appreciated if you could help me out. I plan on making a complete part list when I do this swap starting later this week. I'm also removing the A/C box, and modifying it to retain full heat functions. In the end I hope to clean up the engine bay. I think it would be nice at the track to have a bit less weight, and have the capability to remove the belt going around the P/S pump for a few more ponies.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transampimp
I found a bracket the Zoops makes. However It doesn't seem to extend far enough out for a separate pulley.
When had this bracket before I sold it, I held it up to the block to see how much room I had to play with and how much adjustability tolerance the sliding "claw" would give me for lining up with the crank pulley. The bracket had enough play in it that when adjusted fully outboard, it went about 1/4" forward of the crank pulley.

What little bit of stretch it'd need to line up with the single groove v-belt pulley could easily be remedied with spacer collars and longer (if needed) bolts.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

I guess I order it and see how much work it is to make it fit. Any idea where I can get a pulley that will piggy on to the stock pulley?
Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

x2...i am also curious about this
Old 12-27-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I order it and see how much work it is to make it fit. Any idea where I can get a pulley that will piggy on to the stock pulley?
Look up the Ebay store "Motorchrome." It's just a standard SBC single groove billet v-belt pulley.

I just looked it up and it sells for $21.90.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:44 AM
TECH Veteran

+1 interested!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-A...em150058119541

Maybe this will bolt on? I think its going to be a guessing game. One issue I could run into is having the right pulley combination. I don't want to over pressure the rack in pinion. I can live with it being a little under pressure.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-A...em150058119541

Maybe this will bolt on? I think its going to be a guessing game. One issue I could run into is having the right pulley combination. I don't want to over pressure the rack in pinion. I can live with it being a little under pressure.
I've done the research on this, and posted about it numerous times in the past. I don't make a habit of posting up non-sponsor links because it's the quickest way to get banned from this site, but the pulley in that Ebay link is the same one used in the pic in the OP; it will work. The "effect" is no different than running an underdrive pulley, (smaller crank pulley=pump pulley turns slower=lower pressure), which, if there is a problem at all, it's only ever a problem for the electrical/charging system on LT1's. SBC v-belt style pullies are made in the same diameter as the stock serpentine P/S pulley, so that isn't an issue either.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=28

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....28&postcount=2

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=10
Old 12-28-2007, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

I've got my part list and I'm going to start placing orders. Any idea on what type of hoses would work good? I know I'll need a high pressure hose that screws into the pump. I haven't looked at the rack and pinion but I probably need a special attachment to tap into it? Thanks for the help so far. It has been tons of help.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got my part list and I'm going to start placing orders. Any idea on what type of hoses would work good? I know I'll need a high pressure hose that screws into the pump. I haven't looked at the rack and pinion but I probably need a special attachment to tap into it? Thanks for the help so far. It has been tons of help.

The inlet/outlet on the rack itself uses:

High pressure side - 14mm x 1.5
Low pressure side - 16mm x 1.5

How you'd set it up depends a great deal on how much you're willing to spend. The way I did mine was to use two way male flare union adapters with 14, 16mm on one side and -6 AN on the other for the rack. Then -6 AN female compression fittings on the ends of each hose. (Braided stainless hose.)

The most economical way would be to just find a local plumbing supply store or hydraulic hose dealer and have them make you some new (longer) rubber hoses to stock specs. They will do it in-house because the ends need to be crimped onto the hoses and it requires a special tool. What type've fittings they'd need to put on the hoses depends on however the Type II pump you end up getting is configured, because they come set up several different ways.

Example:

vs.

Any stainless or anodized aluminum fittings made by the "big name" companies like Earl's, Aeroquip, etc. can be had in brass for typically about 1/5th the cost.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:35 AM
12 Second Club

as soon as I can get my hands on a spare LT1 block with a crank and balancer, I'm going to start mock-up for these style brackets, then either Long-Hand, or software program, a CNC mill program to produce some of these brackets out of 6061...

quality stuff here, not a bunch of flat-bar welded together, with washers stacked for spacers, and nut-and-bolt style "sandwich" attachment points, I'm talking contoured Aluminum (weight, plus looks) brackets drilled and tapped for correct size fasteners, no 1/2 holes with 3/8 bolts to bolt the bracket to the block.

Do it Once, Do it Right, that's my moto.

if the first ones off the mill turn out good, and are durable enough to hold up (which they should easily be) I'll probably look in to mass-producing these products.

I like the idea of changing the hose-ends for the P/S... possibly use some JIC ends, with a Live-swivel to make life easy (if you've ever messed with hydraulics, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, and how nice it is)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
as soon as I can get my hands on a spare LT1 block with a crank and balancer, I'm going to start mock-up for these style brackets, then either Long-Hand, or software program, a CNC mill program to produce some of these brackets out of 6061...

quality stuff here, not a bunch of flat-bar welded together, with washers stacked for spacers, and nut-and-bolt style "sandwich" attachment points, I'm talking contoured Aluminum (weight, plus looks) brackets drilled and tapped for correct size fasteners, no 1/2 holes with 3/8 bolts to bolt the bracket to the block.

Do it Once, Do it Right, that's my moto.

if the first ones off the mill turn out good, and are durable enough to hold up (which they should easily be) I'll probably look in to mass-producing these products.

I like the idea of changing the hose-ends for the P/S... possibly use some JIC ends, with a Live-swivel to make life easy (if you've ever messed with hydraulics, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, and how nice it is)
Sounds good. Now get to work on it! j/k
Old 01-19-2008, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

any word on these mounts, very interested
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

bringing this thread back from the dead!! What ever happened!? Anyone else got a similar settup or results from this settup???? I am very interested in doing something just like this.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

anyone ever get that mount made. or know of all of the parts to do it?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
anyone ever get that mount made. or know of all of the parts to do it?
I made one work for the low mount alt. I can't remember who I got it from but I just have to machine a slot to make it adjustable.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

so you got the power steering pump mounted low on the driver side?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Launching!

so you got the power steering pump mounted low on the driver side?
Yes. The power steering is low on the driver side and the alt. is low and on the passenger side. I have the power steering running off the under drive pulley. the alti is running off the stock damper. So I am running 2 really short sep. belts.

Here is the bracket I made work. Power Steering - Camaro/Firebird #405L-PS
http://www.srbymichael.com/manufactu...rove_lt1.shtml

Last edited by ks my ss; 06-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

sorry do you have a picture? so both of them are on the lower driver side? i have a flaming river rack in and im thinking of going back to power steering at all the pics would help out alot. but i was thinking of putting the power steering pump on the driver low and keep the alternator on the pass low. do you think it will work with that bracket

oh sorry i read it wrong. so pretty much your going to be running it the way im looking at running it
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Launching!

sorry do you have a picture? so both of them are on the lower driver side? i have a flaming river rack in and im thinking of going back to power steering at all the pics would help out alot. but i was thinking of putting the power steering pump on the driver low and keep the alternator on the pass low. do you think it will work with that bracket
Sorry I messed up. The alt. is on the passenger side. I don't have any pics right now I will see if I can find some or take some tonight.

Quick Reply: Powersteering, Alternator relocation