LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head gasket?

While driving on the freeway, the car got progressively hotter, the temp (when it hit 160-180) then shot up and pegged. Pulled over, not losing any fluid, not shooting out any smoke; checked under the hood, the intake and valve covers were cool to the touch. Temp still pegged, parked it; let the car sit for a day, coolant was low, added some Prestone, started right up, when the temp got to 160-180 (again) it then just shot up to past midway, so I shut it off. I gave it a couple of revs and a bit of white smoke came out, but not a tremendous amount. I checked the oil and it's clear and I can't find a leak anywhere, I also checked around the intake manifold and didn't see leaks. The car sounds find, starts fine and sound good; is there any chance this could be something else, or is it head gasket time?
Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the thermostat may be sticking closed. It should open up in that 160 to 18 degree range where it is shooting up. Has it been low on coolant since the last time you filled it?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

It was a bit low on coolant, I added some today and it looks like it's holding it, it's not leaking out anywhere that I can see. I'll replace the t-stat tomorrow and hope that'll do it; I don't feel like paying for a gasket job after Christmas. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

When in doubt, go to the basics. My mechanic did a pressure test and the head gasket is fine; there was a very small leak in the upper hose which was spraying out a very fine, but consistent, spray which was causing a slow (and invisible) leak. The t-stat was somewhat iffy as well so that got replaced. Thanks to those that responded here and via PM with advice.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

so after all of that did it fix the proble? Or does the temp still shoot up??
Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

That did the trick, he did a pressure test to confirm the head gasket was fine.

Quick Reply: Head gasket?