LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help!!! My throttle gets stuck OPEN!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help!!! My throttle gets stuck OPEN!!

Yeah, at times the throttle will get stuck open!! One time I floored it and let go, but the pedal was still floored and I couldnt stop it!! I had to put it on neutral in order to actually stop the car!! What all do I need to check?? The throttle cable seems fine I suppose, I think that the hose clamp from the ram air intake is getting stuck perhaps on the throttle body....
Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yikes!

1) Factory throttle body, or aftermarket?
2) Cruise control turned on?
3) Do you have pictures of said hose clamp? Any way to shift or relocate the part causing interference?

There isn't a whole lot of investigation we can perform from the internet. I'd suggest re-oiling the butterfly valves as best you can, and check for any form of mechanical binding and/or interference around the return spring. How does it feel when you open the butterflies by hand?

For the time being, I think I would disconnect the cruse control cable from the throttle body. Don't want to get in an accident...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had my nitrous WOT switch wiring get caught up in my throttle when I was just getting it installed the first time. (you can kill car also and coast to stop)
Old 12-27-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

I forgot all about the cruise control! lol. Where is the cruise control cable located at?? I dont have pics of the hose clamp but it is a good possibility that it caused to get the throttle to remain stuck. And where in the world are those butterfly valves at??? lol.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol scary. definatly a good excuse for cops-

"hi officer i know i was doing 148 but my throttle was stuck. yes, for the last 17 miles."
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by emj2006
I forgot all about the cruise control! lol. Where is the cruise control cable located at?? I dont have pics of the hose clamp but it is a good possibility that it caused to get the throttle to remain stuck. And where in the world are those butterfly valves at??? lol.
Sorry, by butterfly valves, I was referring to the actual throttle blades (ie, those two big circular things that move when you open the TB).

You should have two braided steel cables going to the TB. (You'll have to remove the throttle cable cover if still in place). The outermost cable is for cruise control -- simply snaps off of a pin when you push it towards the front of the vehicle. Another option being to pull the fuse.

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 12-27-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Help!!! My throttle gets stuck OPEN!!