LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

thar she blows!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thar she blows!

i was bleeding my cooling system the way shbox reccomends. and i had the cap off. i started the car and coolant shot 10 feet into the air constantly like a fountain. and hit the garage celing. what would cause that? never seen that happen before.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the car hot? lol
Old 12-27-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

cold from overnight.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

oh WOW, I know when my car is hot and the cap is off it spews pretty good. Does it constantly poor 10 feet up or just that one burst and thats it?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Revelation.....
Just wanted to tell ya not to worry too much unless you notice overheating issues. My car does the exact same thing whenever I drain the fluid and refill it. The first time it did it I freaked out, but it's ok. I just always fill it up, put the cap on, start it, and then take it off and let it bleed out. Thats the only way I could get mine to stop doing it. But I have seen this happen when a car has a blown head gasket or a cracked head. Thats why I said if it isn't running hot or smoking then your most likely ok........James
BTW it only spews out on the first startup, correct??
Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

well thats the only time i noticed it.

i have to start it with the cap off and the bleeders open for it not to do it right?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, It didnt get your opti did it?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by donkey mule
Wow, It didnt get your opti did it?
nope it got my face though i was standing above it trying to bleed the system.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
nope it got my face though i was standing above it trying to bleed the system.
hahaha hope you didn't get any in your mouth i hear that stuff is pretty toxic.

my gm mechanic told me to never run the car with the cap off. he said jack up the front of the car a little or park it on a hill. leave the motor off. take the cap off, stick a tall funnel down in there so its somewhat air/water tight around it, take the bleeder screw OUT and fill until water comes steady from the bleeder hole. if heat is not blowing hot then there is air pockets in the heater hose back near the pcm. try wiggling the air pockets from them. the raising of the front of the car helps with getting the air out because the hoses are higher than the cap, so raising the front makes them more on the same level.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
hahaha hope you didn't get any in your mouth i hear that stuff is pretty toxic.

my gm mechanic told me to never run the car with the cap off. he said jack up the front of the car a little or park it on a hill. leave the motor off. take the cap off, stick a tall funnel down in there so its somewhat air/water tight around it, take the bleeder screw OUT and fill until water comes steady from the bleeder hole. if heat is not blowing hot then there is air pockets in the heater hose back near the pcm. try wiggling the air pockets from them. the raising of the front of the car helps with getting the air out because the hoses are higher than the cap, so raising the front makes them more on the same level.
Could this be why my heater doesnt blow hot?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

nope, if you do this again (flush the cooling system) Just fill it up- with the engine OFF, crack the bleeder until it starts to pour out (as your pouring coolant into the radiator) then shut the bleeder after it starts coming out the bleeder screw,put the cap on it, start it up, and then go open the cap and you should be fine since there will be no pressure built up. Just let the car run and when you get good heat through the vents and the thermostat is opening/closing and everything is ok such as fans turning on/off. your done. put the cap back on and drive it to see if it's running ok. LMK if ya have anymore questions.
James
Old 12-28-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brickonwheels
Could this be why my heater doesnt blow hot?
Have you cleaned out or replaced your heater core?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chavez885
Have you cleaned out or replaced your heater core?

No. What all would this entail?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

i opened my bleeders yesterday and nothing came out engine off car level.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

That ok, just fill it up and let it run. When I did mine hell to be honest I didn't even open mine until it was running for 10 minutes and the thermostat had already opened. Then I just put the cap on it, shut it off, and opened the bleeder and it was pure coolant- no air at all. Usually you can get all of the air out by simply letting it run with the cap off. But if not then you sometimes will need to take a few heater hoses off with the engine running and keep them off- but right next to the fitting where the coolant comes out of and wait till the coolant starts to flow out of the hose or the fitting. Just a few suggestions if your still having trouble.

(In short; just take off the cap, while the engine is already running and let it run. Sometimes you may have to get in the car or use the throttle cable on the TB to rev it and wait till the air bleeds out of the radiator. Rev it to about 1800-2100 rpm and it will push all of the air out of the system. Do this until the heat starts blowing out of the vents HOT! then top it off and add some to the overflow b/c if there is any need for additional coolant it WILL draw it from there.
Good Luck.
And don't hesitate to ask for more help.....James

Oh yeah, to clean out the heater core, take off both hoses to the heater core and hook up a garden hose to 1 of your heater hoses (you can buy a fitting from the hardware store to do this or you can cut off the end of a garden hose and slide it over the heater core it's self) and spray water through it to flush it out. You may have to do this a few times to get everything out.