LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTX Shootout safty requirements

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LTX Shootout safty requirements

I guess this is the right place to post this.
I just seen this in another Thread

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html
Are all these reqired to run at the event?
I plan on running a litle quicker than a 10.00. however I dont have a NHRA licenses, Or a chute. NHRA Chassis sticker, neck brace, and a tranny shield(Ill be running a blowfroof bellhousing)
Just wonderingon these as Im tring to get my car back togather to make it there.
Thanks
If this need to be moved go for it
Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes your car will need certified with all the safety for you and your car
Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

What is:

Electric 16.00 & Quicker??
Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

So Ill have to have a NHRa lisences to run? And a chute for a 9 second car?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
So Ill have to have a NHRa lisences to run? And a chute for a 9 second car?
If you run an ET of 9.99 or quicker and a MPH of 150 or faster, the NHRA safety requirements become very stringent! 10.00 and slower is much more simpler for both the car and driver.

First, at 9.99 and quicker your car will need a full-cage w/ current NHRA chassis certification, window net, a diaper for the engine, engine shut-off switch, transmission shield/blanket and “every” SFI component (axels, flex-plate, damper, Etc.).

At speeds of 150 MPH and greater a parachute is required.

Your will be required to have a current NHRA Competition Drivers Licenses (Rule 10:4 Credentials, 7.50-9.99) and wear a complete fire suite w/ neck-collar and Snell approved helmet).

I have some close friends that run the NHRA Top-Sportsman class and it is almost a full-time job to keep the car and driver compliant to run the 9.99 to 7.50 range (some in the high 6s). Not to mention the time and cost of the NHRA initial driver licensing process at the track.

WD
Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Here is some more NHRA safety information for cars running ETs from 11.49 down to 10.00.

With a full factory interior and unaltered firewall, a “6-point roll-bar” can be used in-place-of a roll-cage. Therefore, with most F-Bodies you can run down to 10.00 with the 6-point bar.

A 5-point harness (driver restraint system) is required and the driver must wear a fire jacket meeting the SFI 3.2A/1 spec. Also, a Snell SA2005 or SFI 31.1/2005 approved helmet.

No competition driver’s licenses is required (11.49 to 10.00)

At 10.99 and quicker; aftermarket axels and axle-retention devices (C-Clip eliminators) are required. Also, at 10.99 an SFI approved damper is required and possibly an SFI flexplate.

WD
Old 12-28-2007, 01:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Engineer
First, at 9.99 and quicker your car will need a full-cage w/ current NHRA chassis certification, window net, a diaper for the engine, engine shut-off switch, transmission shield/blanket and “every” SFI component (axels, flex-plate, damper, Etc.).
From what I have been told by people that have talked with the Division 5 Tech director is that engine diapers will only be required at NHRA sactioned RACES.

This event will not require diapers.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

How does the SFI approved apply to trannys like the 4L80e (or anyother one piece) whenre there isn't an availbe SFI approved bell housing, or a way to attach it??

Anyone know what the Electronic 16.00 quicker means??
Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

As an addition to all of the above, the 2008 NHRA Rulebook (p. 97) specifies that a full-face helmet is required on all cars running 9.99 or quicker.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:04 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this is the right place to post this.
I just seen this in another Thread

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html
Are all these reqired to run at the event?
I plan on running a tranny shield(Ill be running a blowfroof bellhousing)

Thanks
If this need to be moved go for it
who's bellhousing are you going to be running ....just curious? did you convert to an push style of clutch?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
Anyone know what the Electronic 16.00 quicker means??
Many drag racing classes allow an "electronics" delay box (w/ trans-brake) to launch the car off the first amber bulb on the tree. Hence the class name, “electronics class.”

Often a track will add an “additional class” for the “quicker” or fastest cars to compete in. Typically that will be field of 16 cars (quick 16), to support the traditional four rounds of eliminations.

Therefore, that class is typically referred to as the “Electronics Quick 16” or some variation of that title (Quick 16 Electronics).

WD
Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
From what I have been told by people that have talked with the Division 5 Tech director is that engine diapers will only be required at NHRA sactioned RACES.

This event will not require diapers.
That is good the division 5 and local track people are going to give everyone a pass on the diapers.

However, the diapers serve two important purposes. 1. It reduces track cleanup time with a blown engine. 2. Even more important, It can prevent a bad crash from oiled-down tires following a blown engine.

Having seen several of those really bad crashes (from oiled tires) during recent years. If I was running down in the 9s and around 150 MPH, I would have a diaper on my car even if the track didn't require it.

WD
Old 12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Many drag racing classes allow an "electronics" delay box (w/ trans-brake) to launch the car off the first amber bulb on the tree. Hence the class name, “electronics class.”

Often a track will add an “additional class” for the “quicker” or fastest cars to compete in. Typically that will be field of 16 cars (quick 16), to support the traditional four rounds of eliminations.

Therefore, that class is typically referred to as the “Electronics Quick 16” or some variation of that title (Quick 16 Electronics).

WD

The have it listed on the left side though like its a piece of saftey equipment
Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Launching!

The have it listed on the left side though like its a piece of saftey equipment
Listed left side? What and where? I have no idea of what you are talking about?

WD
Old 12-28-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its listed in the link that is posted in post #1. I copied the chart but can't access photobucket from work.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by taner
who's bellhousing are you going to be running ....just curious? did you convert to an push style of clutch?
Na, I gave up on the 6 speed and am going to an auto
Old 12-28-2007, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

If you run an ET of 9.99 or quicker and a MPH of 150 or faster, the NHRA safety requirements become very stringent! 10.00 and slower is much more simpler for both the car and driver.

At speeds of 150 MPH and greater a parachute is required.

Your will be required to have a current NHRA Competition Drivers Licenses (Rule 10:4 Credentials, 7.50-9.99) and wear a complete fire suite w/ neck-collar and Snell approved helmet).

I have some close friends that run the NHRA Top-Sportsman class and it is almost a full-time job to keep the car and driver compliant to run the 9.99 to 7.50 range (some in the high 6s). Not to mention the time and cost of the NHRA initial driver licensing process at the track.

WD
If being the case we have to have a NHRA lisences to run at a non NHRA evernt then I guess I wont be able to make it.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Its listed in the link that is posted in post #1. I copied the chart but can't access photobucket from work.
That is "electric" not electronic. Which is a rule for new battery (electric) power vehicles.

WD
Old 12-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Launching!

If being the case we have to have a NHRA lisences to run at a non NHRA evernt then I guess I wont be able to make it.
Tony will need to answer that for you, I'm just providing everyone an overview of the NHRA rules.

However, most tracks aren't insured if they don't enforce the basic NHRA safety rules/requirements. And the competition license is "documented proof" a person has demonstrated the skills and experience to handle a 9 second car.

WD
Old 12-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Another question that needs to be answered is what is going to be the safety requirements at the shootout for 6-speed cars as I have not been able to find an SFI approved bellhousing for our cars.

Quick Reply: LTX Shootout safty requirements