LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which lca's??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which lca's??

(sigh) choices, choices, choices... lol. are you guys with aftermarket lca's using standard ones, one-way adjustable, or two-way? is it really just a matter of how much tunning ability i want from them? thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the Spohn rod ended LCAs...They are double adjustable and very easy to adjust...Also with rod ends you have no binding which can occur with the poly stuff...The draw back is that they are a bit noisey...My car is not a DD, but the noise doesn't bother me at all...Whatever you get look to adjustables as adjustability is absolutely essential for a good, effective suspension...

--Alan
Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

I've got UMIs, non adjustable, with their relocation brackets. Works great.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question has been discussed frequently in the handling and suspension section. I participated in an excellent one, and concluded that I want the rod/poly single adjustable ones. Poly on the body side because it eliminates any chance of the knock or rattle that some owners complain about. Rod on the suspension side because it allows articulation, which is what ABA383 was talking about. Single adjustable because once they are set, I will have little need to adjust them. The moderator who was also in the thread admitted that was the same setup he was running, and for the same reasons.
Best of luck.
And I am going UMI because they are of high quality and are an actively participating sponsor of this forum.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

I've been using Lakewood LCAs for about 5yrs now with no problems.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

BMR all the way. first class customer service, great prices. and their stuff flat out works.

i have gone to rods ends about 2 years ago, a little more hard core, lol! poly ones worked great too!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

I really like UMI's stuff
Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Lakewoods in my 91, for what it's worth.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Launching!

thanks guys, i'm down to BMR or UMI one-way adjustables. cool
Old 01-03-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by taner
BMR all the way. first class customer service, great prices. and their stuff flat out works.

i have gone to rods ends about 2 years ago, a little more hard core, lol! poly ones worked great too!
I use the poly ADJ. BMR. love em. Also BMR is a great company to deal with.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car came with the boxed hotchkis....i have no reason to change them
Old 01-03-2008, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with midwest chassis dbl adjustable LCA's and there relocation brackets. All LCA's are basically the same, it's just a chromeoly tube with bushings or rod ends on it. If you go with rod end's make sure they come with quality ones.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I went with midwest chassis dbl adjustable LCA's and there relocation brackets. All LCA's are basically the same, it's just a chromeoly tube with bushings or rod ends on it. If you go with rod end's make sure they come with quality ones.

Those are what I'm running next year. I had UMI double adjustable w/poly bushings last year. Just getting a little serious this time around.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

I have used Lakewoods in the past(first mod many years ago) they were great. I now have Madman dbl adjustables on my 94 and BMR's on my 00. All are very nice products.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

My opinion is the BMRs. I have the non-adjustable chromoly. For a race car maybe adjustables would be better but for my street car I am very happy with these.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Launching!

well let me throw this in there too.. what about the panhard bar? they sell the lca's and panhard bar in packages so i'm assuming they go together pretty well. what exactly does the bar do? eliminate lateral movement? and should i just buy the package? thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by meangreenformula
I've got UMIs, non adjustable, with their relocation brackets. Works great.
Same
Old 01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fbodyfreek
well let me throw this in there too.. what about the panhard bar? they sell the lca's and panhard bar in packages so i'm assuming they go together pretty well. what exactly does the bar do? eliminate lateral movement? and should i just buy the package? thanks.
If I were to do it again, I would get the UMI package. You don't really save much money, but they all work the same.
The panhard bar allows you to center the rear left to right. As a rule, the fbodies come from the factory with the passenger's wheel sticking out further than the driver's side. Mine was off by 13/16". It is now perfect.
When you install the LCAs, you need to take it to the alignment shop and have it 4 wheel aligned. Be sure and talk to the tech doing the work and show him where they adjust.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fbodyfreek
(sigh) choices, choices, choices... lol. are you guys with aftermarket lca's using standard ones, one-way adjustable, or two-way? is it really just a matter of how much tunning ability i want from them? thanks.
Deciding between adjustable and non-adjustable is going to be based on your driving habits and plans for the vehicle. Here are some basics to follow-

www.umiperformance.com/2015 - These work great on street cars, cruisers and drag racers but are no recommended for serious handling.

www.umiperformance.com/2016 - These also work great on street cars that see some auto cross. The rod end helps to reduce rear end bind while the poly bushing bolts to the chassis of the vehicle to absorb unwanted road noise. The adjustment is used when installing after market rear ends that may not sit centered in the wheel wells.

www.umiperformance.com/2017 - These are recommended for serious racers that want no bushing deflection. They are recommended for drag cars and road race cars. The adjustment is on-car and works excellent for centering the rear end to fit those big tires under the car.

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Deciding between adjustable and non-adjustable is going to be based on your driving habits and plans for the vehicle. Here are some basics to follow-

www.umiperformance.com/2015 - These work great on street cars, cruisers and drag racers but are no recommended for serious handling.

www.umiperformance.com/2016 - These also work great on street cars that see some auto cross. The rod end helps to reduce rear end bind while the poly bushing bolts to the chassis of the vehicle to absorb unwanted road noise. The adjustment is used when installing after market rear ends that may not sit centered in the wheel wells.

www.umiperformance.com/2017 - These are recommended for serious racers that want no bushing deflection. They are recommended for drag cars and road race cars. The adjustment is on-car and works excellent for centering the rear end to fit those big tires under the car.

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Thank you!
Ryan
So if my car is a daily driver and sees the track a few times a year non adjustable would be fine for me right? I never auto cross but i do hit the twisties on the road every once in a while

Quick Reply: which lca's??