LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Its dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Its dead

So new years day im getting onto the freeway and its got no power so as im getting off on the very next exit the car starts to pour smoke out of it and I shut it off instantly and push it to the parking lot. When I get to the parking lot there is oil everywhere under the car and I get it towed to my home. On the 93's the oil pressure sending unit is above the oil filter and that somehow blew open and dumped all the oil under my car. After I replace it with a new one and change the oil and filter I drive the car and its still got no power and devleoped a knock. As im trying to get the car home it can only get up to 25 mph so I shut it down on the side of the road and tow it home. Im fairly sure it ran with no oil for that 1/2 mile on the freeway and now its toast. 96k miles is all this one got.

On the bright side at least I have the bike to drive. And I have a reason to build a tough bottom end but ill be without a car for a good 5-8 months due to being a student with a students budget.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Are you selling the NX kit or the catback? If so pm me the details and prices . And sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im keeping the car and parts its just going to sit in storage until I can build a bottom end for it.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kahunaking
So new years day im getting onto the freeway and its got no power so as im getting off on the very next exit the car starts to pour smoke out of it and I shut it off instantly and push it to the parking lot. When I get to the parking lot there is oil everywhere under the car and I get it towed to my home. On the 93's the oil pressure sending unit is above the oil filter and that somehow blew open and dumped all the oil under my car. After I replace it with a new one and change the oil and filter I drive the car and its still got no power and devleoped a knock. As im trying to get the car home it can only get up to 25 mph so I shut it down on the side of the road and tow it home. Im fairly sure it ran with no oil for that 1/2 mile on the freeway and now its toast. 96k miles is all this one got.

On the bright side at least I have the bike to drive. And I have a reason to build a tough bottom end but ill be without a car for a good 5-8 months due to being a student with a students budget.
Sucks to hear.

Was the sending unit broken? It is common for the top part to beark off if it is not removed for header installs, and all it leaves is the thin diaphragm - which stretches over time. It can seem to not be leaking after breaking so some people leave it, but then all of a sudden it can pop and you will not even notice the oil pressure drop until it is too late.

At least you have the bike in the mean time
Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I Removed it when I installed the headers and reinstalled it afterwards. Im guessing it the plastic part of it dry rotted due to the 1. Arizona and 2. The extra heat from the headers. So right now im trying to decide wether to build a 383 or pick up a used engine.

Quick Reply: Its dead