LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stuck at high rpm idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck at high rpm idle

So, yeah, I've been finishing the car up after a motor rebuild and had one f'n problem after another. I've been wanting to hit this sooner but I am just recovering from food poisoning. Anyhow, once the car is turned on it will regularly idle at about 1500-1600 rpms as read by the dash guage. As the car warms the idle increases to nearly 2000 rpm and stays. I can drive it and it'll still stay within the ranges specified. My best guess is that it's the IAC motor going caput. I checked all the vacuum lines, and they were fine. All elec connections were fine too. I tried shoebox's IAC reset, same thing. I don't have a datamaster or whatever but am I going in the right direction by assuming it's the IAC motor? FWIW my wife was helping me clean parts a while back during the assembly and shot some elec parts cleaner over the throttle body to clean it, some probably made its way down to the IAC area. Would that in and of itself mess up the IAC? Other than that, car runs like a champ.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The IAC is a logical guess at this point.

You might remove it, plug it back into the wiring and have someone turn the key on, you should see the pintle move, if it doesn't I would say thatr confirms it's death.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll have to try that in the morning.