LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ok guys- park the Z for the winter or drive it ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok guys- park the Z for the winter or drive it ??

Well these MI winters suck with the salt and all, right now my lt1 is parked and im driving a 91 f-150 straight 6 300 auto with 234k on it, the only thing is its such a POS it gets 13 mpg driving easy. I drive about 40 miles / day and its just raping me by the end of the week. my question is, i'm in the nice rochester area where they plow immediately so getting through snow isn't a huge concern, BUT the salt is. i was debating just putting the Z in the air cleaning the underbody and doing a good POR 15 undercoating job, then going back to driving it through the winter and getting my 27mpg again what would you guys do. this truck is the biggest pos ever and is absolutely horrible on gas.. i may as well drive a 454. thanks !
Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

You have to do what you have to do, i'd try finding another DD
Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

see what you can get for your truck and buy a new dd. The picture in my sig is the only time my car has ever left my garage in the winter
Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

i been driving my Z this winter in chicago... the salt does suck, but i just take it to a pressure washer regularly and power wash the under carriage and engine... there only like another month and half to 2 months of winter left.. try to stick it out with the pos ford, or just drive the z for the remainder, but make sure you have good tread all seasons..
Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a el cheapo DD i recommend going on craigslist looking for a early 90's corolla 5 speed
Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by black383
i been driving my Z this winter in chicago... the salt does suck, but i just take it to a pressure washer regularly and power wash the under carriage and engine... there only like another month and half to 2 months of winter left.. try to stick it out with the pos ford, or just drive the z for the remainder, but make sure you have good tread all seasons..
you power wash the engine?

good luck with that, especially if you still have the unvented opti.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by infinitebird
you power wash the engine?

good luck with that, especially if you still have the unvented opti.
I've done it. You just have to be careful or leave the car running. You've never driven your car in a bad rain storm? Water is gonna get on that opti.

Anyway, I would try and get another DD. Go to a local dealership and see if they'll sell you a wholesale car for cheap. My suggestions: Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, Subaru...they all have cheapo cars that get great MPG. I hate that my daily driver gets the hammering that it does with the salt in PA, let alone my Camaro. I bought it in 2002 and it has not seen salt since then.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
I've done it. You just have to be careful or leave the car running. You've never driven your car in a bad rain storm? Water is gonna get on that opti.
Yes I have but I do try to limit the exposure to water and not intentionally douse it lol.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black383
good luck freind of mine messed up his opti like that plus you got all the sensors i wouldnt ever powerwash my engine, water can ruin alot of things
Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Ya i'd really like to keep it parked, i guess i could just suck it up and take the crappy gas mileage for another 6 weeks.. eh.. anyone want to trade me something for this truck ? lol
Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

i have a vented opti... second, i dont have the power washer on full pressure on the engine, only under the car do it, but when i pop the hood. i leave the pressure low and just go over quick so i dont sit there and drench wires or anything.. i been doing it to cars for years, way i do it i have never had an issue...
Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Yes I have but I do try to limit the exposure to water and not intentionally douse it lol.
haha I agree!

Quick Reply: ok guys- park the Z for the winter or drive it ??