LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whos all thinned out their wiring harness and relocated the fuse box inside the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos all thinned out their wiring harness and relocated the fuse box inside the car?

I'm considering thinning out the wiring harness and deleting the stuff that I'm not using. I would also like to move the fuse box inside the car. I have the motor out and plan on mounting all the relays and ignition box to the HVAC delete panel. Last year I just threw the wiring in to make the nitrous work and for a guy that wires industrial control panels I felt a little ashamed of myself.

I will be running an after market ecm with a powerglide so I'm also debating on removing all the factory ecm wiring and running auto meter gauges since the stock ones are computer controlled if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone have some good schematics of the wiring?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

The Chilton's manual for our cars is actually pretty accurate and and provides some good detail as to the wiring.

The factory gauges are not run thru the PCM with the exception of the speedo and tach. The aftermarket PCM you buy will obviously have a tach output and you can purchase a speedometer adapter that will make the speedo work without the PCM. I believe Dakota Digital makes the adapter.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned

In the beginning.

And this is still a work in progress but the power windows, locks, keyless entry, trunk release and all the lights work. Just need to add fuse box and possibly a relay or two.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good man!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:39 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, I'm going to be doing mine at some point. That bundle of wires made me about crap my pants. I'm partially color blind so all those different colored wires makes me reluctant to start hacking on mine.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Damn, I'm going to be doing mine at some point. That bundle of wires made me about crap my pants. I'm partially color blind so all those different colored wires makes me reluctant to start hacking on mine.
Being partially color blind I wouldn't even attempt it without a 2nd pair of eyes no offense lol but wiring sucks to screw up!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My fuse box in the engine bay and all wiring I tucked....

Underdash I didn't really cut out much of anything, just moved the harness to the top....

Old 03-10-2008, 01:40 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Being partially color blind I wouldn't even attempt it without a 2nd pair of eyes no offense lol but wiring sucks to screw up!
Haha, I know. I had a summer job at a custom home theatre installation company. We'd prewire homes for sound or wire complete home theatres / sound systems. I messed one up big time crossing a wire in the cat 5. It took us forever to figure out what the problem was.

I'll probably be getting some help on it. I'll be more of doing a backtracking so I know which wires to pull. I'll be working from the end of the wire all the way back to the PCM. Hopefully it won't be too confusing for me.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Banned

Haha, I know. I had a summer job at a custom home theatre installation company. We'd prewire homes for sound or wire complete home theatres / sound systems. I messed one up big time crossing a wire in the cat 5. It took us forever to figure out what the problem was.

I'll probably be getting some help on it. I'll be more of doing a backtracking so I know which wires to pull. I'll be working from the end of the wire all the way back to the PCM. Hopefully it won't be too confusing for me.
It won't be that easy one wire at a time. Once you unwrap all the wiring it turns into a knot. I left all the wiring for the lights and cut just about everything out and started over.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Thanks, for the advice, but I've got plenty of time and it's going to be the only way I'm able to do it. Hopefully it won't be that bad and I don't get stuck.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh man. Cat 5 is fun fun fun to wire! lol Props to you for not letting it mess you up.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

Did a little more work on the car today. 4 relays for the nitrous and two for water pump and fan.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wish I knew how to do this. I will try to figure it out after my 6pt is in. Looks great Jakesz28
Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish i never cut up the stock harness, should have just went the painless route. Would have been hella faaster.

Quick Reply: Whos all thinned out their wiring harness and relocated the fuse box inside the car?