LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 aftermarket header questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 aftermarket header questions...

OK im asking about this for my buddies 94 formula...he wants to get headers before spring time. He picked a brand and then calls me up asking about race headers being emissions legal...I told him he has to be more specific about what hes looking for. He wants a decent set of headers that will keep his car emissions legal as far as Connecticut is concerned. I (on my LS motor) used Pacesetter cause they were mid price range and they also came with a ORY and hi-flow cats. He said he wanted to use those but the ones he looked for in summit had what he says a "you buy it, it don't fit, you cant return it" policy. So basically I would just like to ask what people have used in the past and what they would recommend since i'm not LT1 savvy. I will look up other header brands today on the forum but just wondering about any "fitment" issues or emissions concerns...
Thanks
Ted
Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in CT and I had a LT1, I ran a LT header w/ emission fitting (Jet Hot long tubes) and I passed, you cannot run cats in the stock location which does make it illegal, most places do not look, as long as they pass.

Now depending on the year of the car 93-95 they have to go on the roller, if it is 96-97, its just a PCM scan, if they fail the PCM scan then it gets kicked to the roller.

What I did with my overly rich tuned 383 was put a brand new cat near the rear seats (it would only fit in that area) and I drove it hard, got it hot, put rubbing alcohol in the tank and a stock temp thermo and passed w/ ease.

If worse comes to worse, he can get a shorty system w/ emissions fitting that is truely street/emissions legal.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Shifting the locations of the cats is illegal?...I would think theyd be happier with he car having cats...hmm, state regulations are wierd. I guess thats why he couldn't get the same deal like I ordered...As far as shorty headers go for LT1s and performace, is it a big difference over LTs? I have always been told that LTs make more TQ. Unless thats just an LS series thing maybe. Well his brother works with a GM tech so i'll ask him if maybe the GM tech can think something up as far as cats go...
Thank you for the input
Ted
Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

I had some fitting issues with my set of hooker LTs. Specifically, the drivers side collector was way off, making fitting of the ORY pretty much impossible without some BFH work. we got it to clear by cutting part of the transmission support and hammering part of the ORY flat.

I cant speak to the emissions issues.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SLP headers on my car and they work great.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 68ss_00ss_87_95
Shifting the locations of the cats is illegal?...I would think theyd be happier with he car having cats...hmm, state regulations are wierd.
That's a federal not state regulation, fyi.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
That's a federal not state regulation, fyi.
And its a ABSOLUTE requirement to check them in CT, but since they have normal shops check that rule gets lax.

A CAT that is not in proper position, i.e. not close to the header and like half way down the car doesnt get hot enough to burn off emissions so if its not working, its not cleaning the air, there isnt a benefit. Hence illegal.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh..ok makes perfect sense then....I believe you all have answered my questions...Thank you for th assistance.
Ted