LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

About to install an EWP a little help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to install an EWP a little help...

So I bought a prepped EWP that already comes in the housing along with a relayed warning harness for it. My question is, once I take out the old waterpump and housing what exactly do I need to do to plug whatever hole the EWP will leave? Also I was wondering if anyone had an extra male harness for a CSR pump laying around that I could take off ur hands
Thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to weld the timing cover hole and plug the WP hole with a freeze plug.

Tony.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

if your ewp is already in the housing it should already have the hole in the housing plugged with a freeze plug- take a look at the back of your housing. the hole in the timing cover only needs to be plugged if you went inside the timing cover to remove the water pump drive assembly- if you didnt, you can but you dont have to.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
So I bought a prepped EWP that already comes in the housing along with a relayed warning harness for it. My question is, once I take out the old waterpump and housing what exactly do I need to do to plug whatever hole the EWP will leave? Also I was wondering if anyone had an extra male harness for a CSR pump laying around that I could take off ur hands
Thanks
I swear there was a aluminum plug on Summit. or try Ebay. I would think that a aluminum plug would be better than just a freeze plug.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93_SilveradoTPI
I swear there was a aluminum plug on Summit. or try Ebay. I would think that a aluminum plug would be better than just a freeze plug.
I'm 90% sure what eBay is selling is probably a freeze plug. If not, it REALLY doesn't matter. My buddy used a freeze plug and had to hone out the hole a bit to fit it.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like the back is already freeze plugged up. So do I really need to weld the timing cover? What are my options otherwise b/c I don't have access to a welder...
Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Teching In

I just left the shaft coming out of timing cover alone if you remove the collar (sleeve) then it will fit.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good. Any issues that may arise with not taking it out? Just wanting to be sure I don't screw anything up b/c the car has been down for a year and a half.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive been running mine for about 3mths without ever going inside the timing case. ive heard other guys say they did the same thing. have you taken the old pump off yet ? theres a shaft sticking through your timing cover once you have removed it. as long as you get rid of anything that came off that to connect to the waterpump, you should be ok
Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I haven't yet, I've been having a brake problem on my DD and didn't have time to work on it yet. This is the last step b4 I get everything together so I'm hoping I can find that male harness or buy a new one. Thanx for the input.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

let us know how it turns out. on that male connector you might want to try to find someone with a dead csr waterpump.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good. Any issues that may arise with not taking it out? Just wanting to be sure I don't screw anything up b/c the car has been down for a year and a half.

Your leaving another area there to leak that is not necessary. I would seal that hole up IMHO.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Formula350
I'm 90% sure what eBay is selling is probably a freeze plug. If not, it REALLY doesn't matter. My buddy used a freeze plug and had to hone out the hole a bit to fit it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...spagenameZWDVW

If I had the choice Id just use this instead of just a freeze plug. Freeze plugs are made to fail. While this plug is permanent and its the same material as the timing cover. But thats just me.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give you a freeze plug, a warranty that it won't fail, and paint it silver if you'll give me 23 bucks for it.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does that plug need to be welded or pressed in? I don't have access to either of those. Also do I need to take off the timing cover to install it b/c I can't currently get off the Damper hub for the life of me
Old 01-24-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does that plug need to be welded or pressed in? I don't have access to either of those. Also do I need to take off the timing cover to install it b/c I can't currently get off the Damper hub for the life of me
It says it right in the description there Mr. interested.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can run the ewp by just taking off the old pump, getting the new one wired and bolted on with no problems-im surprised some of the other guys that have ran it this way havent chimed in. if you want to remove the gear inside the timing cover, the crank pulley and opti have to come off.yes, the timing cover has to come off to install the plug bc you cant pull the shaft sticking through the timing cover out from the outside. ive ran it without doing this for a few mths now-no leaks, no problems. personally im waiting till i have to replace the opti or timing chain to do that.

if you are worried about it leaking,think about this- that shaft and seal have been in your timing cover this whole time.it doesnt have any more chance of leaking than any other seal in your engine imo

it would be optimal to remove the gear inside but it can be ran without doing so and it is a good bit of extra work to do so.

Last edited by TXFORMULA; 01-24-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
You will have to weld the timing cover hole and plug the WP hole with a freeze plug.

Tony.
Can anyone think of any reason NOT to do this?
The machine shop called this morning about my new 383 asking if I wanted to keep it in or not.
I'm thinking I should go ahead and plug it since I've been very happy with my EWP.

Quick Reply: About to install an EWP a little help...