LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cutout Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout Question

I'll be putting longtube headers and y pipe on my car as soon as i take it out of storage and i'm wanting to put on an e-cutout. Someone told me not to because it will mess with my back pressure and will to more harm than good. Is this true? I own a 97 SS.

Any help would be great.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Complete BS, It will decrease back pressure but increase horsepower and torque. My car picked up 6hp with an open cut out vs. a flowmaster catback, I would say do it, plus they are fun!

Last edited by Matts94Z28; 04-01-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
Old 04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the only problem i have with electric cutouts is that the motor can come loose and fall off, happened to my brother twice...

o and another thing, they won't stay closed, they can rattle open, just get a standered cutout, its worth getting on your back and uncapping...

besides the only time i closed mine was for inspection time, i left mine open at all other times.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by watkinss
I'll be putting longtube headers and y pipe on my car as soon as i take it out of storage and i'm wanting to put on an e-cutout. Someone told me not to because it will mess with my back pressure and will to more harm than good. Is this true? I own a 97 SS.

Any help would be great.
Cheers,
Mike
I was told the same thing, but then you'll get all different answers, i would say, if you want the sound or race it at the track, then yes, the headers are going to be your biggest gain hands down, i'm in the process of installing some PS LTs on my 97Z, if your looking for all out power, then go duals with an X pipe & eleminate the cats, or get high flow cats, i don't think you'll see much gain with a cutout if your useing the Magnaflow catback, but with the flowmaster you would, the choice is yours, Jegs has a nice universal X pipe system with "straight back" cutouts on both sides, Part # 555-30667 for around 160.00
Old 04-01-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have those issues with my McCord cutout... Going on three years now...
Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula96
the only problem i have with electric cutouts is that the motor can come loose and fall off, happened to my brother twice...

o and another thing, they won't stay closed, they can rattle open, just get a standered cutout, its worth getting on your back and uncapping...

besides the only time i closed mine was for inspection time, i left mine open at all other times.
Varies for each cutout and each person. My QTP, which is supposed to be the shittier cutout, never leaked and the motor has been running strong while i had it on.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the tips guys.
I think i'll be putting one on. Been looking at the DMH one's. think i'm gonna go for one of those.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2008, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by watkinss
Thanks for all the tips guys.
I think i'll be putting one on. Been looking at the DMH one's. think i'm gonna go for one of those.

Cheers
Ive got a DMH on my old catback that I just took off the car, it worked great no leaks. If your lookin for a used one I'll sell mine.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I gained a solid 10 hp and 1 tq to the wheels over my stock catback with cats and manifolds. I accidently held mine open too long though so now it sounds like poop when I try to close it. Do it, it just sounds bad ***.

Quick Reply: Cutout Question