LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

opti ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opti ?

Does anyone know what the little tube that hangs off the bottom of the opti is? And does anything hook to it? Just wandering because every time it starts to rain the car starts cutting out and popping and just wandering if it could be the problem? BTW the car is a 94 TA. Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be two tubes down on the driver's side. One tube is actually on the cap and the other is on the distrubutor housing. One runs to the intake inlet right after the maf and is a blue colored inlet, and the other runs down the valve cover and plugs in right before the pcv valve on the driver's side of the intake.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

The Tubes Are Installed So It Can Remove Moisture And Ozone Build Up That Can Cause Corrosion To Form On The Parts.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

but does the 94 model have those tubes because i see a hookup on the opti but i dont see any lines or anywhere to hook the lines to the intake or anywhere else.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Only 1995 To 1997 Lt1s Had This. It May Have Had The Cap And Rotor Change In The Past And Someone Installed The Updated Cap On The Car. If The Car Is Still Running Fine Then Distributor Should Be Fine. You May Have Problems In The Future Because Of Water Getting The Opti. If You Want To Hook Up The Lines Drill A Small Hole In The Rubber Intake Elbo. Run That Vacume Line To The Top Hole On The Cap. Then Connect Another Line To The Bottom Hole And
Tap Into A Safe Vacume Source On The Intake Manifold. If You Do Need A New Opti You Can Get One From The Parts Store And Most Now Come With A Life Time Warranty. I Have One On My Car With The Life Time Warr. And Works Fine.
They Dont Come With A Cap And Rotor So I Would Get The Cap And Rotor Kit Like I Did From Msd. Once You Put The New One Together Remember To Seal The Row Of Holes On The Bottom Of The Distributor With Rtv Sealant. The Old Optis Had This To Vent It Out But It Allowed Water And Dirt To Get In.you Also Have To This On Your Car If You Hook Up The Hoses. Ever Wondered Why So Many People Have Problems With Thier Optis After The Water Pump Failes? Its Because Gm Did A Poor Job Of Sealing The Part Of The Cap Where The Conector Is With Enough Sealant. Over Time The Sealnt Falls Off And Everything Gets Inside. You Can Fix This By Building That Area Below
The Connector With Rtv Sealant.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Lt1 355, hooker l/t headers, hot cam, 1.6 r/r
air foil, throttle body b/p, ported . DO YOU HAVE THESE MODS? DID YOU DO YOUR SELF OR DID YOU BY THE CAR THIS WAY? WAS THE TIMING COVER CHANGED TO THE UPDATED PART? YOU MAY EVEN HAVE THE UPDATED DISTRIBUTOR ON THE CAR.
DID YOU KNOW THAT VENTED DISTRIBUTORS CANT BE INSTALLED ON NONE VENTED LT1
BECUASE THE DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE IS DIFFERENT.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alaureano
Lt1 355, hooker l/t headers, hot cam, 1.6 r/r
air foil, throttle body b/p, ported . DO YOU HAVE THESE MODS? DID YOU DO YOUR SELF OR DID YOU BY THE CAR THIS WAY? WAS THE TIMING COVER CHANGED TO THE UPDATED PART? YOU MAY EVEN HAVE THE UPDATED DISTRIBUTOR ON THE CAR.
DID YOU KNOW THAT VENTED DISTRIBUTORS CANT BE INSTALLED ON NONE VENTED LT1
BECUASE THE DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE IS DIFFERENT.
yeh i did all the mods myself i dont trust garages anymore and thanks for the imfo on the opti.

Last edited by snk-huntr; 04-06-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got done checking and someone has put a 95 to 97 cap on my 94 opti. Didnt know you could switch these, Should i replace the cap with a 94 cap or just block off the tube below the cap? Thanks
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

just convert to a vented opti (just get the lines, tap the intake eblow and connect vacuume/clean air source lines and there ya go)
Old 04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

well id say if it only does it while it rains then change ur wires

Quick Reply: opti ?