LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are AFR's Eliminator heads as good as LSx heads??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are AFR's Eliminator heads as good as LSx heads??

Gentlemen,

I know that the AFR's are stock SBC 23 degree valve
angle heads as opposed to the 15 degree valve angle of
the LSx heads??

Still that being said are the AFR Eliminators the best
that we do can in getting a LSx equivalent head
performance out of a traditional SBC based head for us
LT1 types?? In terms in not only flow CFM's bit also
velocity at part throttle settings????

Do you guys have a preference on what aftermarket
heads to use in a LT1 stroker buildup??

AFR, Trickflow, Dart or whatever??

I was considering a 6 liter LSx(LQ9 or LS2) conversion in my 1995 9C1 Caprice being that that LSx based engines respond so well to
basic mods like "cams & heads", produce over 600
streetable HP and still be amazingly fuel efficient
But the hassle of changing over the wiring harness,
the PCM and other related issues. The fact I am a not
a good wrench and if I am on a road trip and something
goes wrong in the middle of the country, I open the
hood and the mechanic says "what's that?!?!?" or says
"the book says that this isn't suppose to be there!!!"
I'll be in deep do do.

So at the moment a LT1 stroker build up is looking
good right now.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you are going to get alot of negative feedback about the LTx AFR heads on this website(I know that I have).
Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 AM
10 Second Club

what are your goal's.. I personally don't like afr when we start talking about the big cube 23. deg stuff.. I feel for the$$$ they don't perform... But for a decent upgrade you should look at the Lloyd Elliot, Advanced Indux guy's.. They make some great packages to suit many a need.. TFS makes a nice piece as well... Just know what your goals are... and talk that over w/ someone in the know..
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

most states arn't apposed to diffrent motors as long as it's a motor that was produced in america and not imported *aka like 240sx's with SR20DET swaps* - that's illegal. I dont think you'll be in trouble with an lsx swap in a caprice it's a chevy motor in a chevy product. . . .*shrugs* if the mechanics give you **** back it up with what your states laws say - here it's pretty much if it's a motor produced for american sold vehicles and i think if it's the same brand in the same vehicle you're good to go *shrugs* but i donno elsewhere. . .
Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have to watch what the donor is, for the mostpart putting a TRUCK engine in a car would be frowned upon which would severely limit your LSx donor options.

Far as the Eliminators, bringing them up is a good way to insitgate a lot of pointless bench racing and not much else. Only "test" I have heard of them was a magazine build and those are complete BS anyway so effectively there is no good info at least not that I have seen.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KriegerEhre
most states arn't apposed to diffrent motors as long as it's a motor that was produced in america and not imported *aka like 240sx's with SR20DET swaps* - that's illegal. I dont think you'll be in trouble with an lsx swap in a caprice it's a chevy motor in a chevy product. . . .*shrugs* if the mechanics give you **** back it up with what your states laws say - here it's pretty much if it's a motor produced for american sold vehicles and i think if it's the same brand in the same vehicle you're good to go *shrugs* but i donno elsewhere. . .
Who gives a ****, there are always ways around emissons...Not hard at all if you know what your doing..

But cali is a **** state, I dont live there and could careless sucks for them
Old 04-09-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Have to watch what the donor is, for the mostpart putting a TRUCK engine in a car would be frowned upon which would severely limit your LSx donor options.

Far as the Eliminators, bringing them up is a good way to insitgate a lot of pointless bench racing and not much else. Only "test" I have heard of them was a magazine build and those are complete BS anyway so effectively there is no good info at least not that I have seen.
What? What is wrong with a truck LSX???????????????????????/

Unless he is doing a 5.3 swap, but there still a good engine making 300hp in some versions and the bigger cubes truck motors are a great way to go..
Old 04-09-2008, 07:22 PM
zjt
Staging Lane

check these bad boys out

Easter Present
Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the truck was in a different emissions classification like oh say a less strignet one they will not allow it for emissions inspection. I do not have to worry about any of that so I am not current on the classings but last I paid attention a light duty truck was in a less strict emissions class than a passenger car. Maybe that changed?

I am talking about it as "letter of the law" not what you might get away with.

I mean otherwise why not just go with the 8.1l right, we all know ther is "no replacement for displacement" right??