LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting problems when motor is cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems when motor is cold

I have a 94 z28 and it has started being very hard to crank. When u first try to start the car in the morning it will act like it wants to crank. If you keep trying then most of the time it will backfire and shoot flames out the tailpipes. It also has a real gassy smell to it and will smoke a little. Once you get it cranked it runs fine. If you turn it off and let it sit for a long period of time it will do it again. Like the next morning. I have replaced the coolant sensor and coolant switch and neither have helped. A friend hooked it up to his code reader and it showed code 16 and code 32. I know the code 32 is an EGR valve but it didnt tell what the code 16 was. The only way to start the car is by holding the gas pedal to the floor and it will still take up to about 15 minutes until it finally cranks. Could the distributor have something to do with this problem? Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

I'm having a similar problem with mine right now. Originally thought it was too much timing around 400-600 RPM but after adjusting that in the tune it didn't seem to help. Anyone else have some insight on this?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Hey, Just To Let You And Anyone Else With This Similar Problem, It Was The Starter. When This Started A Few Weeks Ago, It Showed A Code 16 And A Code 32. It Was Hard To Start Only Once Or Twice A Week. Within Just Two Weeks Later It Was Hard To Start Every Morning. Two Days Before The Starter Went Out(which Was The 6th Of April) When You Would Finally Get The Car Started For The First Time, If You Shut Off The Car And Tried To Start It Again It Would Drag As If The Starter Was Hot Or The Battery Was No Fully Charged. Today When My Mechanic Put A New Starter On It, It Fired Up Instantly. He Ran A Diagnostic Test On It And It Didn't Show Any Problems At All. No Codes Of Any. Lots Of Prayer Definately Helped. He Said That If There Was A Short In The Starter And It Was Weakening The Battery That It Wasn't Allowing The Motor To Turn Over At The Required Speed To Crank The Car. Thus, The Fuel Was Coming In Faster Than The Spark Could Ignite It. Some Might Think This Doesn't Make Sence Or Sounds Crazy But All I Can Say Is That It Starts Right Up And No Code Showing. The Starter Was Never Even A Thought To This Problem. Every Indication Was Either A Temp. Sensor Or Worse The Opti-start. Just Goes To Show That It Can Be Almost Anything Causing The Problem. Ever Heard That Before. See Ya!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Well damn. Wonder if that's my problem??? If so, my 42# injectors and big pump are going to make it worse...

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Starting problems when motor is cold